BOWLING GREEN, Ohio (WTVG) - U.S. Marshals arrested one of four men accused of raping two teens in Bowling Green Ohio on Tuesday. David Ramos Contreras was captured in Lubbock, Texas.
Information was developed placing Contreras in Lubbock, Texas after investigators for the U.S. Marshals Service and Bowling Green Police followed leads and tips developed over the last two days. Contreras was found hiding under a bed at an address in the 1600 block of 21st street in Lubbock. Contreras will be extradited back to Ohio to face the charges.
U.S. Marshal for the Northern District of Ohio Pete Elliott stated, “The diligent and dedicated work of our fugitive task force, along with the U.S. Marshals in Lubbock, and our local partners enabled this arrest to happen quickly and safely. We know the hard work will continue until the other two suspects are apprehended. Our thoughts are with the victims of these heinous crimes.”
The search is on for two additional suspects. The problem is that all three appear to be in this country illegally and police are using what little they have to go on.
Bowling Green police did arrest Simon Juan in connection with the crime. Now they shift their focus to the other two. Investigators do know what hotel they were staying in but that's about it.
Most of the paperwork and documents they've received from this group has turned out to be bogus.
The incident is alleged to have happened at the Days Inn on Wooster Street in Bowling Green, where two teens were staying with their mom. Police believe the teens made contact at some point with the 4 men,.
Three other suspects are one the run. They're Juan Adiel and Arnulfo Ramos.
"The information we're receiving is the suspects were living at the Days Inn as well as our victims," said Major Justin White of the Bowling Green police department.
Investigators did speak with all 4 suspects early in their investigation but at that time the victims were still speaking Wood County Job and Family Services.
"When we went over there that night, at that point in time we hadn't vetted or spoken with the victims yet," said Major White.
Investigators were shown some paperwork by the suspects proving their work status. But it’s believed those papers were bogus.
"They were up here working. They had papers to be up here to work however we believe their paperwork, at this time, is fraudulent,” said Major White.
Adiel, for example, provided a permanent resident ID card that was later proven to be a fraud. The Bowling Green police focus was on the assault against the girls not papers or status.
"They're providing us with information and at that point in time we have to have probable cause," said Major White. “Just because we may suspect them of not supposed to be in this country, we are investigating an alleged sexual assault not their immigration status."
Police do know now that one of them should not have been in this country. According to Bowling Green police David Ramos Contreras was deported in October of 2017.
Police don't believe there was any connection between the victims and the suspects other than they were all staying at the hotel.
Bowling green police also identified two women seen with the seen with David Ramos Contreras on Saturday (6/30/2018) at approximately 2pm, at the WalMart located at the Spring Meadows Shopping Center in Holland. Investigators say the two females are not suspects in any crime related to the current investigation.
According to U.S. Marshals, the current whereabouts of Arnulfo Ramos and Juan Garcia Rios Adiel are still unknown. The Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force and Bowling Green Police are seeking assistance from the public in locating these two suspects. Ramos previously lived in Texas while Adiel lived in Florida.
Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of these fugitives is encouraged to contact the U.S. Marshals Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force at: 1-866-4-WANTED or text keyword WANTED and the tip to TIP411 (847411). Tipsters may remain anonymous and a cash reward may be available. The U.S. Marshals Service is currently offering up to $10,000 for information leading to the arrest of the remaining two fugitives.