TOLEDO, Ohio (13abc Action News) - A 13-year-old is the latest to plead guilty to killing a Michigan man who died when a sandbag was dropped from an overpass onto a car.
Pedro Salinas pleaded guilty to murder, felonious assault and vehicular vandalism Friday in juvenile court. Sentencing will take place on March 9th.
Two 14-year-olds pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter, vehicular vandalism and vehicle vandalism in Toledo juvenile court last week.
The three were among four teens charged with murder and related charges following the death of 22-year-old Marquis Byrd of Warren, Michigan in December. Byrd was killed when a sandbag was dropped from an Indiana Avenue overpass onto Interstate 75 in Toledo and crashed through the windshield of a car. Byrd was a passenger in the vehicle.
The two teens told the court they were walking from the Port Lawrence apartments headed to the store to buy candy. They walked over the bridge that goes over the I-75 expressway and started throwing rocks.
Sean Carter admitted to dropping a sandbag over the edge and it landed on the side of the road. The boys said Pedro Salinas dropped a second sandbag and they heard a loud crash. The kids ran and bought candy from the store. As they were walking back that's when police stopped them.
Sean Carter and William Parker II pleaded guilty last Friday morning. Both pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and two counts of vehicular vandalism and a judge found them delinquent. The teens will have psychological evaluations to help the judge decide if they should be held or released on probation.
An attorney for 14-year-old Demetrius Wimberly filed a motion to suppress. A subsequent court date was scheduled for February 7.
All four teens initially pleaded not guilty to dropping a sandbag off the Indiana Avenue overpass onto I-75 on December 19.