Bedford High School football players under investigation

By  | 

TEMPERANCE, Michigan (13abc Action News) - 13abc was the first to bring you this breaking news story.

The Bedford Public Schools district is investigating reports of inappropriate behavior involving students during a football camp.

The district has been investigating this case all week, according to Superintendent Mark Kleinhans.

The superintendent tells us they are taking these reports very seriously.

This involves some student players on the Bedford High School football team. It all reportedly took place during a three-day football camp last week.

The district says the football camp was held out of town at Sauk Valley Resort in Brooklyn, Michigan.

Kleinhans tells 13abc reports of inappropriate behavior came to light on Monday, August 17th, and that's when a thorough investigation began.

The Superintendent would not detail the accusations against some of the student players, but sources tell 13abc tonight they include lewd acts.

Our source also states a number of players are currently suspended from the team pending this investigation. The district however has not commented about any disciplinary action.

The team's scrimmage earlier this week was cancelled because of the investigation.

Administrators have interviewed numerous staff and students and continue to do so.

At this point, investigators believe this involves only students, no staff.

The number of students potentially involved is also still under investigation and the district says they are prepared to deal with any potential violations of the student code of conduct.

The team's first game of the season is set for Friday, August 28th at UT's Glassbowl Stadium. So far, there's no decision from the district if this case will affect that game's start.

The district says Michigan State Police and the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office are assisting in this investigation.

Michigan State Patrol tells us their detective began investigating this case on Friday. They are also in the process of conducting interviews.

Superintendent Mark Kleinhans released this statement:

"The administration is taking this situation very seriously. We have reached out to a number of agencies assisting with this situation. The district legal counsel has been involved every step of the way. We are working to get to the bottom of it. It is a very unfortunate situation."

Classes at Bedford begin after Labor Day.

Stay with 13abc Action News for the latest developments in this case.