This Hour: Latest Ohio news, sports, business and entertainment - 13abc.com Toledo (OH) News, Weather and Sports

This Hour: Latest Ohio news, sports, business and entertainment

Posted: Updated:

OHIO STATE-BAND DIRECTOR

Fired Ohio State band director vows to clear name

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - An attorney says the fired director of Ohio State University's celebrated marching band has become a scapegoat for behavior that occurred before his leadership and he'll fight to clear his name.

Jonathan Waters was dismissed Thursday after a two-month investigation determined he knew about and failed to stop a "sexualized" culture of rituals. Investigators found students were pressured to march in their underwear, sing lewd songs and perform sexually themed stunts to earn often explicit nicknames.

Waters' attorney, David Axelrod, says Waters had worked to change the band's culture and chose not to resign because he didn't believe he had acted improperly.

Waters led what's known to fans as "The Best Damn Band in the Land" since 2012. Videos of the band's halftime shows draw millions of viewers on YouTube.

POLICE OFFICER-CHILD PORN

10 years for ex-Ohio officer in child porn case

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A former Columbus police officer has been sentenced to 10 years in prison after pleading guilty in a child pornography case in which investigators said they uncovered thousands of images and hundreds of videos on two external hard drives.

The government alleged additional images were found on several CDs in a storage facility rented by defendant Stewart Miller, and Miller acknowledged an interest in child pornography in a letter obtained by investigators.

Federal judge Algenon Marbley sentenced the 48-year-old Miller Friday following Miller's plea last year to one count of receipt of visual depictions of child pornography.

Miller was also fined $17,500 and ordered to pay $7,500 in victim restitution.

Miller's attorney, Mark Collins, had asked for a six-year sentence, noting Miller did not have a criminal background.

CONCERTGOER'S DEATH

Vigil remembers Ohio man found in landfill

FREMONT, Ohio (AP) - As authorities continue to search for answers in the death of an Ohio concertgoer, hundreds turned out for a vigil at his former high school to remember him.

About 500 friends and members of the community showed up for the candlelight vigil Thursday night at Fremont Ross High School in Sandusky County for 22-year-old Cory Barron.

Barron's body was found Tuesday in a county landfill in Oberlin, 30 miles west of Cleveland's Progressive Field, where he was last seen at a country music concert July 18. Authorities said Thursday that an autopsy was inconclusive, and more tests are required to determine the cause of death.

Cleveland police say Barron may have fallen down a five- or six-story garbage chute at Progressive Field and landed in a large waste container.

TEEN-FATAL SHOOTING

Boy pleads guilty in other teen's death in Ohio

CINCINNATI (AP) - A 13-year-old boy accused of fatally shooting his 13-year-old friend at a home in southwestern Ohio has pleaded guilty to a juvenile charge of reckless homicide.

Court officials say the teen also pleaded guilty Friday in Hamilton County Juvenile Court to a juvenile count of misdemeanor theft.

Green Township police say the accidental shooting occurred while the boys were playing with a revolver. Police say the boy who died last month was shot at his home with the gun that was stolen from a different home and brought to the victim's house by the other teen.

Court officials say the teen will be sentenced Aug. 18. He could be kept in a juvenile detention facility until he is 21.

The Associated Press isn't naming the boy because of his age.

MECHANIC KILLED

Northwest Ohio mechanic killed in freak accident

FREMONT, Ohio (AP) - A northwest Ohio auto mechanic has died after a fan blade broke off a car he was working on and struck him in the neck and face.

A Fremont city police official says 44-year-old Donnovan Roth was dead by the time officers arrived at the garage where the man worked Thursday afternoon. Fremont is about 40 miles southeast of Toledo.

Capt. James White says Roth was working on a car around 4:20 p.m. when it backfired and a blade from the fan broke off, cut through a hose and struck the mechanic. White says two of Roth's co-workers and the car's owner gave officers identical accounts of what happened.

White said Roth's death was an accident.

DOCTOR SLAIN-DNA

Ex-Ohio officer will learn whether he remains free

AKRON, Ohio (AP) - A former Akron police captain is scheduled to appear before a judge to determine if he can remain free or must return to prison in the slaying of his ex-wife.

A now-retired Summit County judge in early 2013 exonerated Douglas Prade after he had spent nearly 15 years in prison when DNA testing showed a bite mark on his ex-wife's lab coat was not his. An appellate court overturned the judge's ruling in March and the Ohio Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the appellate court decision.

Prade was convicted in the 1997 shooting death of his ex-wife outside her medical office.

Attorneys for the 68-year-old Prade say he's innocent. Prosecutors want Prade returned to prison while it's determined if he should get a new trial. The hearing is Friday afternoon.

IMMIGRATION-OVERLOAD-OHIO

Cincinnati charity wants to house immigrant kids

CINCINNATI (AP) - A Cincinnati charity says it has applied for a federal grant aimed at bringing to Ohio some of the immigrant children who have flooded across the U.S. border recently.

Catholic Charities Southwestern Ohio has applied for the grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to help house the children. More than 57,000 minors have arrived since October, mostly from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador because of drug violence and other problems in those countries.

Ted Bergh, CEO of Catholic Charities, tells The Cincinnati Enquirer that the children would be housed in a "dormitory environment" that could provide short-term shelter, education and counseling.

Federal law requires that children be placed in protective care while their immigration cases are resolved.

WEST NILE VIRUS-OHIO

Ohio again testing for West Nile virus

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - The state of Ohio is again testing mosquitoes for West Nile virus after the program became a victim of federal budget cuts last year.

The funding for the Ohio Department of Health program was restored in a mid-cycle budget bill that took effect July 1.

As 80 local health departments have used the suburban Columbus lab. State public health entomologist Richard Gary tells The Columbus Dispatch that the state lab has received about 36,000 mosquitoes in the past 10 days.

The lab had confirmed a West Nile virus-infected mosquito in Licking County, east of Columbus, this month.

Some cities and counties started their own testing after the program was lost. Gary says having a state lab gives a better picture of the West Nile situation across Ohio.

DAYTON AIRPORT-RUNWAY REPAIR

Ohio airport gets over $10.2M for runway repair

WASHINGTON (AP) - Dayton International Airport has been awarded more than $10.2 million in federal transportation funds for repairs to a runway.

U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown announced the funding Friday. The Ohio Democrat says the money from the U.S. Department of Transportation will be used to preserve the runway's structural integrity and reduce the potential for debris.

The airport is owned by the city of Dayton and operated by its Department of Aviation.

CEMETERY VASES STOLEN

Men sentenced in theft of vases from Ohio cemetery

AKRON, Ohio (AP) - A judge in northeast Ohio has sentenced two men to pay for dozens of bronze vases they stole from headstones at a cemetery.

The Akron Beacon Journal reports the men were sentenced for their roles in the theft of 40 to 60 vases from tombstones at Hillside Memorial Park Cemetery in Springfield Township. One of the men pleaded guilty to receiving stolen property and was sentenced to 18 months in prison. The other also pleaded guilty to receiving stolen property and was sentenced to two years of probation and 90 days of house arrest.

The judge ordered both men to pay $1,400 in restitution.

Family members whose relatives' graves were involved spoke in court Friday. One woman shamed the men for desecrating the graves of her parents.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.