Teacher shares cancer experience with students - 13abc.com Toledo (OH) News, Weather and Sports

Teacher shares cancer experience with students

Posted: Updated:

Kaylene Kramer was diagnosed with breast cancer in October of last year. This wife and mother of two remembers breaking the news to her 10-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter.

Kaylene says, "My daughter took it very well. She understood. When I told her about my hair, she asked can I go pick out the wig with you. But our son took it a lot harder just because he is more aware of what cancer is."

The first grade class at Lakota Elementary is also very aware of cancer. They've watched their teacher lose her hair, and Thursday they watched as she used Skype to read them a story during a chemo-therapy treatment.

Kaylene explains why she decided to Skype every 3 weeks during treatment. "To keep consistency in the classroom. And in a way, they think the camera is always on and I'm watching them, so it kind of helps with classroom management. Another thing is that this is going to happen to someone they know very close, so that way it's not too hard for them.

But its still very hard for Kaylene's husband Eric. He says, "I take it very hard. In fact, this week it breaks me up quite a bit. I thought the worst when I heard it. I could lose my best friend, but as time goes I see she is getting better and so I'm handling it a lot better."

Eric says he marvels at how his wife is coping with cancer. "Seeing her get up for work every morning and still go to work and do this Skyping on her own time is amazing to me."

It amazes her students too. Kaylene says she will have some sort of surgery to remove the lump on her breast. "After that, there will be either another round of chemo or radiation."

But in this moment, she doesn't have the worries of a patient. Today, she's just Mrs. Kramer. A teacher who refuses to let cancer keep her from her first grade class.

  • Top StoriesMore>>

  • 4,000 pounds of potato salad destroyed at German American Festival

    4,000 pounds of potato salad destroyed at German American Festival

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:17 AM EDT2014-08-22 11:17:25 GMT
    Four-thousand pounds of potato salad, sauerkraut, and packets of sour cream for potato pancakes were destroyed in a trailer fire at the German American Festival in Oregon.Fire crews say the generator overheated and caught on fire around 6 a.m. Friday morning.
    Four-thousand pounds of potato salad, sauerkraut, and packets of sour cream for potato pancakes were destroyed in a trailer fire at the German American Festival in Oregon.Fire crews say the generator overheated and caught on fire around 6 a.m. Friday morning.
  • TFD responds to electrical fire

    TFD responds to electrical fire

    Friday, August 22 2014 6:29 AM EDT2014-08-22 10:29:40 GMT
    Toledo Fire and Rescue crews responded to an electrical fire at a two story duplex. It happened around 5:20a.m. on the 700 block of Indiana Ave. Chief on scene says fire started in the middle bedroom
    Toledo Fire and Rescue crews responded to an electrical fire at a two story duplex. It happened around 520a.m. on the 700 block of Indiana Ave. Chief on scene says fire started in the middle bedroom due to problems with the homes electrical wiring. There were four people living upstairs and two living in the downstairs unit. No injuries are being reported. Th
  • Customers stock up on water cases after rumors of another ban

    Customers stock up on water cases after rumors of another ban

    Thursday, August 21 2014 10:21 PM EDT2014-08-22 02:21:26 GMT
    Hannah Ogden decided she wasn't going to take any chances on the water. She bought two 24-pack cases Thursday evening after hearing rumors that Toledo was going back under a ban."It wasn't hectic like that or anything like it was the previous time, but the entire aisle where the water normally is was empty," says Ogden.Over at The Andersons Store on Talmadge Road, shelves were nearly two-thirds full. While the city never issued a warning or advisory, it didn't stop some customers from buying ...
    Hannah Ogden decided she wasn't going to take any chances on the water. She bought two 24-pack cases Thursday evening after hearing rumors that Toledo was going back under a ban."It wasn't hectic like that or anything like it was the previous time, but the entire aisle where the water normally is was empty," says Ogden.Over at The Andersons Store on Talmadge Road, shelves were nearly two-thirds full. While the city never issued a warning or advisory, it didn't stop some customers from buying ...

Area Events Calendar

See It, Shoot It, Send It!