Schewee also scores to help BGSU capture I-75 Cup - Toledo (OH) News, Weather and Sports

Courtesy: BGSU Sports Information

Schewee also scores to help BGSU capture I-75 Cup

Posted: Updated:

BOWLING GREEN, Ohio Freshman Ryan James scored two goals, including the overtime winner, as the Bowling Green State University men's soccer team posted a 3-2, come-from-behind victory over Wright State University Tuesday night (Oct. 30).  The non-conference match was held at a rainy, windy Cochrane Field.

With the victory, the Falcons improve to 8-7-3 on the year.  BGSU has won three consecutive matches, and the Falcons are unbeaten in the last four contests.  The Raiders drop to 4-12-1.

The win also gives BGSU possession of the I-75 Cup, a travelling trophy that goes to the winner of the BG-WSU match each year.  The Falcons have won two of the three matches since BGSU coach Eric Nichols and WSU coach Bryan Davis came up with the idea prior to the 2010 season.

BGSU's total of eight wins is the team's highest in nine years, since the 2003 team went 8-9-5 overall.  That club, coached by Mel Mahler, advanced to the championship match of the Mid-American Conference Tournament.

In addition to the brace by James, junior Zach Schewee also scored on Tuesday night.  James and Schewee scored less than two minutes apart to give the Falcons a 2-1 lead with 16-and-a-half minutes to go in the second half, but WSU's Brett Elder scored his second goal of the night to tie the match with under 13 minutes left, setting the stage for the Golden Goal by James.

That goal came when junior Sean Sikich played a long ball down the right side of the pitch to classmate Anthony Grant.  Grant slid a pass to an open James on his left, and James headed into the box on the right side.  WSU goalkeeper Jacob Bye came off of his line, charging toward James, but the Falcon freshman deftly poked the ball past Bye with his toe.  The ball rolled toward the far post, and a WSU defender was unable to reach the soft shot in time as it glanced off of the post and rolled into the net at the 91:31 mark.

BGSU had 21 shots to the Raiders' 13 on the night, including a 13-6 margin in the second half. James' winner was the lone shot attempt of the overtime.

Junior Michael Wiest saw his career-long shutout streak come to an end at a 227:48, but picked up his season-high third-straight win.  Wiest, who has played every second of every match in goal for the Falcons this fall, made three saves in Tuesday's match.  Bye had five stops against the Falcons.

The temperature was 40 degrees at kickoff, but the sustained winds of roughly 25 miles per hour made it feel that much colder at Cochrane Field.  A light rain began as the teams warmed up prior to kickoff, and the rain steadily increased as the match got underway.  The wind and the precipitation continued throughout the entire 91-plus minutes of play.

The Falcons had the bulk of the possession time in the early going, and had several chances to take the lead.  With roughly 13 minutes gone, James and junior Ryan Snashall worked a give-and-go play on the right side of the pitch, and Snashall hit a short cross to sophomore Danny Baraldi near the far post.  With a defender inches away, and with Bye making his way across the goalmouth, Baraldi got a shot off, but it was just wide left and hit the outside netting.

Several minutes later, Baraldi, James, Grant and redshirt junior Brandon Silva were all involved as the Falcons were able to string multiple passes together.  James beat a defender and played a left-side cross to Baraldi, who hit a shot toward the far post.  But, Bye was able to get there in time to gather it in.

Only two minutes later, WSU's Albert Nilsson's cross very nearly became an 'own goal' as it hit a BGSU defender and rolled just wide of the post.  Nilsson's ensuing corner kick found the head of Seth Petrey, but his shot went wide as well.

With just under a half hour elapsed, though, the Raiders scored, somewhat against the run of play.  Petrey played a perfect through-ball to the onrushing Elder, and Elder hit a low shot that nestled inside the far (right) post.  With 28:44 gone, the visitors had a one-nil lead.

Petrey nearly doubled that lead with just over five minutes remaining before halftime, blasting a free kick on frame.  Wiest made a diving save to knock the ball out of play for a corner, and that corner resulted in a low-percentage shot that went well over the goal.  Still, the Raiders took that 1-0 lead into the intermission.

Each team took a total of seven shots in the first half, but the Falcons dominated the early portion of period two, firing the first nine shots of the half.  Fifth-year senior Zach Lemke had no fewer than three shot attempts in the first three-plus minutes of the half, with each shot progressively more dangerous than the one before.

With just over a minute gone, Lemke got his head on a Baraldi free kick, but the shot was high.  Nearly three minutes into the period, the tri-captain hit a hard shot that was blocked out of play for a corner kick.

That corner kick, taken by Baraldi, found Lemke on the near side of the goal.  Lemke's header very nearly went in, but was blocked by a Raider defender on the goal line.  The rebound went to Snashall near the top of the box, and the junior drilled a shot toward the left post, but Bye was able to get there and make the save.

The Falcons just missed connections in the 51st minute of play, as a right-side cross by Grant was just a little too high for the leaping James.  BGSU had five more shots over the next 15 minutes, but could not cut into the deficit.

The visitors finally got a shot with nearly 25 minutes gone in the half, when Justin Laird's cross found Nilsson on the left side of the box. Nilsson struck his shot well, but a BG defender blocked the ball out of play.  Moments later, the Falcons had their 10th shot of the half, and their first goal of the night.

BGSU's first goal came when junior Ryan Comiskey won possession of a ball near the end line, on the left side of the penalty area.  Comiskey's pass toward the center of the box deflected off of a defender and went to James, who put his one-time effort in the back of the net.  Comiskey drew the lone assist on the goal, which came with 71:42 gone.

Schewee gave the Falcons the lead just 1:44 later, stealing a ball deep in the WSU end of the pitch.  He made a quick move to elude the defender he had just dispossessed, then fired a shot past Bye.  The goal, Schewee's first of the season, came at the 73:26 mark.

The Raiders, however, equalized less than five minutes later.  Joakim Carlsson served a long ball into the box from the left side, and Wiest attempted to punch the ball out of the penalty area.  In traffic, however, the junior 'keeper slipped and fell, and Elder tracked down the ball, made a move to elude the diving Wiest and fired the ball into the vacated net.

The visitors had a good chance to take the lead with under 10 minutes remaining, but Tim Sampson blasted a shot that went just wide of the right post.  And, with the visitors on an all-out rush, Wiest made a save on Drake Stewart as the clock ticked toward seven minutes.

Stewart had another chance with six minutes remaining, but was unable to get a shot off, and what looked like a dangerous opportunity for the visitors fell by the wayside.

Less than a minute later, the home team had a dangerous chance, as Baraldi drilled a shot from near the 18-yard line.  But, at the last second, Bye tipped the ball over the crossbar with a leaping effort.  Baraldi's shot was the final one in regulation, and the teams headed to overtime, setting the stage for the James goal.

The Falcons now prepare for the final match of the regular season, a Saturday night (Nov. 3) contest against MAC affiliate member West Virginia.  BGSU and WVU are two of the four teams tied for second place in the league standings.  The top-four teams at the conclusion of the regular season will advance to next weekend's MAC Tournament, which will be hosted by regular-season champion Akron.

MAC STANDINGS (through Tuesday's matches)

School (Overall)



Akron (13-1-2)



Bowling Green (8-7-3)



West Virginia (8-5-2)



Western Michigan (11-5-2)



Northern Illinois (5-9-3)



Buffalo (4-10-1)



Hartwick (4-9-2)



Florida Atlantic (2-12-1)



(teams earn 3 points for a win and 1 point for a tie)

Tuesday, Oct. 30
at Bowling Green 3, Wright State 2 (OT)
at Western Michigan 2, Northern Illinois 0 *
Florida International 5, at Florida Atlantic 0
Buffalo at Hartwick, PPD (Moved to Wednesday, Oct. 31)

Wednesday, Oct. 31
Akron at Michigan State, 3:00
Buffalo at Hartwick, 7:00 *

Friday, Nov. 2
Northern Illinois at Buffalo, 7:00 *

Saturday, Nov. 3
West Virginia at Bowling Green, 7:00 *
Western Michigan at Akron, 7:30 *

Sunday, Nov. 4
Hartwick at Florida Atlantic, 4:00 *

* MAC match