Friends and family gathered Thursday night to remember a young mother who lost her life in a terrible accident. 24-year-old Sabrina Williams died last Saturday after emergency responders found her unconscious inside her home at 287 Mont Royal. Her kitchen had completely caught fire, but firefighters say the blaze did not look suspicious.
"She was funny, she would keep you smiling," says Sabrina's sister, Tamika Anderson. She and other loved ones gave Sabrina the nickname Smiley. "She loved to go out and have fun. She wouldn't bother nobody."
"When I say she was so happy and had a lot of joy in her, that's all she was," says her aunt, Shawn Anderson.
Emergency responders received a call about an unconscious woman around 1:30 on Saturday. When they arrived, they found Williams body. One look inside the kitchen shows the severity of the flames, burning everything in the area from floor to the ceiling. Williams officially died of smoke inhalation, and her children are now in the care of family members
"When they confirmed it was a female, I knew it was my niece and was just praying and praying that it wasn't," said Shawn when talking about the moment she heard the news.
"It's a good thing that the kids wasn't home, because then instead of burying one person, we would have been burying three," says Vickie Ross, a family friend and relative. "Thank God they weren't here."
Sabrina and her sister lost their mother at an early age, and now Sabrina's children will face the same fate. Tamika Anderson says it will be the family and friends that get them through the tragedy. "I want to say thank you to all her family and friends that's been around since it happened, I appreciate that," says Timeka.
"We will never know exactly what happened, the only person that know what happened is God and Sabrina. And Sabrina ain't here to tell her side of the story," says Vickie. "But she's in good hands, God has her now."