Taking a beating on bets - 13abc.com Toledo (OH) News, Weather and Sports

Taking a beating on bets

Posted: Updated:
TOLEDO, Ohio -

There's no doubt the Hollywood Casino has been extremely successful since it's debut. The addition to Toledo prompted us to explore the darker side of gambling.

Nearly $1 billion is risked on gambling every year.  A local woman we spoke to asked not to be identified, she tells us gambling almost destroyed her life.

"I lost my husband and I have a child that won't speak to me. I was losing paychecks, unable to support my family. I could not get cash on me without wanting to go to the casino. That was how I lived," she says

She says slot machines were her guilty pleasure.

"If I put 20 dollars in and didn't win, I would put money in until I won and when I did I would put all that back in," she says.

When the cash she had ran out- she stole money to fund her gambling.

"I embezzled from my employer and I went to prison for it."

She's what experts call an escape gambler playing the odds with machines to escape reality.

"Some people gamble for excitement. Some people gamble to numb themselves," says Louis Weigle, gambling counselor

Weigle says problem gambling is more than just an addiction, it's a disease.

"It's a problem that can evolve into an addiction and once it becomes an addiction there changes that take effect that are measurable in the brain, that alters the way a person thinks, alters their brain chemistry. If something alters someone's brain chemistry we certainly categorize that as a disease," says Weigle

She sought help through the services of compass in Toledo.   Her motivation was getting back the most important thing she lost.

"What's important in life is not three 7's lining up on a slot machine. What's important is your family," she says

It's now been seven years since she's stepped foot inside a casino- she avoids all temptations.

"I don't even know where the local casino is. I don't want to even know. I'm that frightened of it. I don't feel like I've stopped gambling, I have rested the desire to. But I will be a gambling addict the rest of my life. I think if I ever went back into a casino I would lose everything that I have gained with my family."

A group called Ohio for Responsible Gambling released a survey last month. It found about three  to five percent of Ohioans are considered problem gamblers. One percent are compulsive gamblers.  Study authors say the research will help shape any new state laws regarding gambling.   for more information on how to receive help on problem gambling visit the following:

www.ccrscompass.org

www.ncpgambling.org

• LocalMore>>

Suspect in Temperance standoff surrenders

Tuesday, July 22 2014 10:22 AM EDT2014-07-22 14:22:08 GMT
    Monroe county sheriff's deputies are involved in a standoff with a man in Temperance, Michigan. It's happening off of Stoneybrook Lane near Jackman and Dean.

American Red Cross issues urgent call for blood and platelet donors

Tuesday, July 22 2014 7:11 AM EDT2014-07-22 11:11:35 GMT
    The American Red Cross is facing a looming blood shortage, leading to an urgent need for donors of all blood types to roll up a sleeve and give.According the agency donations through the Red Cross are down approximately 8 percent over the last 11 weeks, resulting in about 80,000 fewer donations than expected.

Dry but not drought

Monday, July 21 2014 11:12 PM EDT2014-07-22 03:12:50 GMT
    Dry and cool don't usually go hand in hand but that's how our summer is playing out.
  • Top StoriesMore>>

Federal appeals court deals blow to health law

Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:13 AM EDT2014-07-22 15:13:53 GMT
    WASHINGTON (AP) - A federal appeals court has delivered a serious setback to President Barack Obama's health care law, potentially derailing billions of dollars in subsidies for many low- and middle-income people who bought policies.

Suspect in Temperance standoff surrenders

Tuesday, July 22 2014 10:22 AM EDT2014-07-22 14:22:08 GMT

Dayton Air Force base plans hundreds of layoffs

Tuesday, July 22 2014 9:55 AM EDT2014-07-22 13:55:41 GMT
    DAYTON, Ohio (AP) - Civilian employees at Ohio's largest military base will have until Aug. 1 to notify officials if they plan to retire or leave with incentives ahead of hundreds of layoffs this fall. The incentives are meant to encourage employees at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton to leave voluntarily before the base eliminates 372 workers by Oct. 1. The Air Force says it will save $1.6 billion by eliminating more than 3,400 jobs throughout the service. Base spokesman Daryl Ma...

Area Events Calendar

See It, Shoot It, Send It!