Taking a beating on bets - 13abc.com Toledo (OH) News, Weather and Sports

Taking a beating on bets

Posted: Updated:
TOLEDO, Ohio -

There's no doubt the Hollywood Casino has been extremely successful since it's debut. The addition to Toledo prompted us to explore the darker side of gambling.

Nearly $1 billion is risked on gambling every year.  A local woman we spoke to asked not to be identified, she tells us gambling almost destroyed her life.

"I lost my husband and I have a child that won't speak to me. I was losing paychecks, unable to support my family. I could not get cash on me without wanting to go to the casino. That was how I lived," she says

She says slot machines were her guilty pleasure.

"If I put 20 dollars in and didn't win, I would put money in until I won and when I did I would put all that back in," she says.

When the cash she had ran out- she stole money to fund her gambling.

"I embezzled from my employer and I went to prison for it."

She's what experts call an escape gambler playing the odds with machines to escape reality.

"Some people gamble for excitement. Some people gamble to numb themselves," says Louis Weigle, gambling counselor

Weigle says problem gambling is more than just an addiction, it's a disease.

"It's a problem that can evolve into an addiction and once it becomes an addiction there changes that take effect that are measurable in the brain, that alters the way a person thinks, alters their brain chemistry. If something alters someone's brain chemistry we certainly categorize that as a disease," says Weigle

She sought help through the services of compass in Toledo.   Her motivation was getting back the most important thing she lost.

"What's important in life is not three 7's lining up on a slot machine. What's important is your family," she says

It's now been seven years since she's stepped foot inside a casino- she avoids all temptations.

"I don't even know where the local casino is. I don't want to even know. I'm that frightened of it. I don't feel like I've stopped gambling, I have rested the desire to. But I will be a gambling addict the rest of my life. I think if I ever went back into a casino I would lose everything that I have gained with my family."

A group called Ohio for Responsible Gambling released a survey last month. It found about three  to five percent of Ohioans are considered problem gamblers. One percent are compulsive gamblers.  Study authors say the research will help shape any new state laws regarding gambling.   for more information on how to receive help on problem gambling visit the following:

www.ccrscompass.org

www.ncpgambling.org

• LocalMore>>

Official search suspended, but friends still search for missing boaters

Saturday, April 19 2014 6:09 PM EDT2014-04-19 22:09:10 GMT
    Official searches were suspended for two missing boaters have been suspended. But that's not stopping friends and family for looking for the missing men.

Megabus ending one Toledo route

Saturday, April 19 2014 5:53 PM EDT2014-04-19 21:53:53 GMT
    Megabus is ending one Toledo route. The reason, low ridership.The bus route traveling from Pittsburgh to Ann Arbor will no longer stop in Toledo. The company is known for offering rides to major cities across the country with fares as low as $1. The route that travels from Chicago to Cleveland to New york will continue to operate.

Local legend honored with dedication of Rossford baseball diamond

Saturday, April 19 2014 5:41 PM EDT2014-04-19 21:41:35 GMT
    Local baseball legend Jerry Baumgartner was honored Saturday. The baseball diamond at Rossford Schools was rededicated in his honor. He was the high school varsity coach at Rossford from 1969 to 1993, with his teams winning more than 350 games, four district championships and 12 sectional championships.Former player Kevin Weaks said, "He really fostered a sense of family and addressed fundamentals and really made it feel like it was one big baseball family and he was like our baseball dad."Th...
  • Top StoriesMore>>

419 Day celebrated on social media

Saturday, April 19 2014 5:29 PM EDT2014-04-19 21:29:55 GMT
    Saturday was April 19 or 4-19 and locals thought this was the perfect day to celebrate businesses in the 419 area code in person and on social media.

Chrysler to build 3 new Jeep models in China

Saturday, April 19 2014 4:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 20:55:51 GMT
    Fiat and Chrysler announced plans Saturday to build three new Jeep models in China for that market, the biggest for the vehicles outside the United States, as they attempt to boost sales in a country where they lag behind their competitors.

3 dead after motorcycle collides with dirt bike in Maybee, MI

Saturday, April 19 2014 2:54 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:54:50 GMT
    Three people are dead after dirt bike hit a motorcycle head-on. The Monroe County Sheriff's office says the crash happened around 11:30 Friday night in Maybee Michigan. A fourth person is in the hospital in serious condition.

Area Events Calendar

See It, Shoot It, Send It!