More sex allegations against ex-Elmo puppeteer - 13abc.com Toledo (OH) News, Weather and Sports

More sex allegations against ex-Elmo puppeteer

Posted: Updated:

NEW YORK (AP) - A Florida man on Tuesday sued a former Elmo puppeteer who resigned amid sex abuse allegations, saying the voice actor met him in New York a dozen years ago after trolling gay telephone chat lines seeking underage boys for sex.

The lawsuit, seeking unspecified damages, was filed in U.S. District Court in Manhattan by a man who remains anonymous, making him the third person to make claims against Kevin Clash, who resigned from "Sesame Street" last week after 28 years.

Clash had quickly denied the first claim, which was recanted the next day. But Clash then resigned after a 24-year-old college student, Cecil Singleton, sued him for $5 million, saying the actor engaged in sexual behavior with him when he was 15.

According to the latest lawsuit, a 29-year-old man said he met Clash on a chat line when he was 16 and was exploring modeling opportunities in New York. It said the youth, then in high school, specifically stated on the chat line that his intentions were non-sexual. Still, the lawsuit said, Clash pursued, posing as a 30-year-old man whose name was Craig even though he was a decade older.

After speaking by phone for several days, Clash invited the youth to visit his Manhattan apartment, the lawsuit said.

At the apartment, Clash gave the teenager alcohol, and they engaged in sexual contact, including oral sex, the lawsuit said. While in the apartment, the youth spotted numerous Elmo dolls and photographs of Elmo with famous people such as Beyonce and Tyra Banks but didn't learn Clash's history until he moved to New York after high school at age 18 and engaged in a sexual relationship with him, the lawsuit said.

The youth was a compliant victim and did not become aware he had suffered adverse psychological and emotional effects from the sexual acts until this year, the lawsuit said.

Clash's lawyer, Michael Berger, said in a statement that the federal cases filed against Clash are without merit.

"The cases and Mr. Clash's reputation will be defended vigorously," he said.

  • Top StoriesMore>>

  • 419 Day celebrated on social media

    419 Day celebrated on social media

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:14 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:14:37 GMT
    Saturday was April 19 or 4-19 and locals thought this was the perfect day to celebrate businesses in the 419 area code in person and on social media.
    Saturday was April 19 or 4-19 and locals thought this was the perfect day to celebrate businesses in the 419 area code in person and on social media.
  • Official search suspended, but friends still search for missing boaters

    Official search suspended, but friends still search for missing boaters

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:10 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:10:34 GMT
    Official searches were suspended for two missing boaters have been suspended. But that's not stopping friends and family for looking for the missing men.
    Official searches were suspended for two missing boaters have been suspended. But that's not stopping friends and family for looking for the missing men.
  • Chrysler to build 3 new Jeep models in China

    Chrysler to build 3 new Jeep models in China

    Saturday, April 19 2014 4:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 20:55:51 GMT
    Fiat and Chrysler announced plans Saturday to build three new Jeep models in China for that market, the biggest for the vehicles outside the United States, as they attempt to boost sales in a country where they lag behind their competitors.
    Fiat and Chrysler announced plans Saturday to build three new Jeep models in China for that market, the biggest for the vehicles outside the United States, as they attempt to boost sales in a country where they lag behind their competitors.

Area Events Calendar

See It, Shoot It, Send It!