Family: 7-year-old boy handcuffed over $5 - 13abc.com Toledo (OH) News, Weather and Sports

Family: 7-year-old boy handcuffed over $5

Posted: Updated:

NEW YORK (AP) - A 7-year-old New York City boy's family has filed a $250 million claim against police and the city after saying he was handcuffed and falsely accused of stealing $5 from a schoolmate.
    
Wilson Reyes' mother, Frances Mendez, told the New York Post that her son was "interrogated" for 10 hours on Dec. 4.
    
"My son was crying, 'Mommy, it wasn't me! Mommy, it wasn't me!' I never imagined the cops could do that to a child. We're traumatized," Mendez said.
    
Wilson's family claimed the boy was falsely accused of stealing $5 that was dropped on the ground and picked up by another student, leading to a physical altercation between him and another child, according to the Post.
    
That child gave a different account, telling the New York Daily News that Wilson and another boy approached him and both reached into his pocket before Wilson struck him in the face.
    
The court claim, filed by attorney Jack Yankowitz, said Wilson was handcuffed and held in a room at P.S. X114 in the Bronx for four hours, then taken to a precinct house. He allegedly was held there for six hours and charged with robbery.
    
Mendez told the Post she initially wasn't allowed to see her son when she went to the station. When she did get to him, she saw that he had been cuffed by one wrist to the wall, and she snapped a photo of him.
    
"My sister and I started crying when we saw him," Mendez said.
    
The Post said the city dropped the charge Dec. 26. A spokesman declined to comment.
    
School officials say it occurred off school grounds. Police had no immediate comment.
    
The other child involved in the altercation, 9-year-old Seth Acevedo, told the Daily News that Wilson had a history of attacking him.
    
"Wilson was the worst bully," Seth told the News. "He would call me names. He would punch and kick me. I wish they never took the cuffs off of him."

  • Top StoriesMore>>

  • Customers stock up on water cases after rumors of another ban

    Customers stock up on water cases after rumors of another ban

    Thursday, August 21 2014 10:21 PM EDT2014-08-22 02:21:26 GMT
    Hannah Ogden decided she wasn't going to take any chances on the water. She bought two 24-pack cases Thursday evening after hearing rumors that Toledo was going back under a ban."It wasn't hectic like that or anything like it was the previous time, but the entire aisle where the water normally is was empty," says Ogden.Over at The Andersons Store on Talmadge Road, shelves were nearly two-thirds full. While the city never issued a warning or advisory, it didn't stop some customers from buying ...
    Hannah Ogden decided she wasn't going to take any chances on the water. She bought two 24-pack cases Thursday evening after hearing rumors that Toledo was going back under a ban."It wasn't hectic like that or anything like it was the previous time, but the entire aisle where the water normally is was empty," says Ogden.Over at The Andersons Store on Talmadge Road, shelves were nearly two-thirds full. While the city never issued a warning or advisory, it didn't stop some customers from buying ...
  • Sylvania estimates water crisis cost $1.5M in lost revenue

    Sylvania estimates water crisis cost $1.5M in lost revenue

    Thursday, August 21 2014 11:05 PM EDT2014-08-22 03:05:51 GMT
    The Sylvania Chamber of Commerce estimates businesses lost a total of nearly $1.5 million dollars in economic revenue during the three-day water ban.
    The Sylvania Chamber of Commerce estimates businesses lost a total of nearly $1.5 million dollars in economic revenue during the three-day water ban.
  • Suspect charged with murder after shooting at strip club

    Suspect charged with murder after shooting at strip club

    Thursday, August 21 2014 10:22 PM EDT2014-08-22 02:22:08 GMT
    Witnesses tell 13abc a fight broke out inside the Chez Joey gentleman's club around 1 a.m. Thursday morning. We're told tables and chairs were thrown, leading up to gunfire. Marcus Osley, 28, was shot during the altercation and later died from his injuries. Police have arrested Keevon Johson, 34, and charged him with murder in the killing.
    Witnesses tell 13abc a fight broke out inside the Chez Joey gentleman's club around 1 a.m. Thursday morning. We're told tables and chairs were thrown, leading up to gunfire. Marcus Osley, 28, was shot during the altercation and later died from his injuries. Police have arrested Keevon Johson, 34, and charged him with murder in the killing.

Area Events Calendar

See It, Shoot It, Send It!