BOWLING GREEN, Ohio – The Bowling Green State University women's basketball team has moved into a tie for first place in the Mid-American Conference's East Division ... now, the Falcons of head coach Jennifer Roos face a tough road test in an attempt to stay there ... BGSU heads south to face Miami University on Saturday afternoon (Feb. 23), with tipoff scheduled for 2:00 p.m. at MU's Millett Hall (6,400).
BGSU women's basketball assistant coach Ali Mann has resigned for personal reasons. Her resignation is effective immediately.
• The Falcons are coming off a 74-61 win over Akron on Wednesday night at the Stroh Center (Feb. 20) ... the win moved the Brown and Orange into a tie with the Zips atop the MAC's East Division ... redshirt junior Alexis Rogers had a double-double in the second half alone to help lead BGSU to the victory.
• Rogers had 16 points and a game-high 12 rebounds against Akron ... she had 14 points and 10 boards after halftime, as the Falcons held a 25-17 second-half rebounding advantage.
• Senior Chrissy Steffen led all players with 17 points, and just missed a double-double with nine rebounds ... fifth-year senior Danielle Havel had 13 points to round out BGSU's double-figure scorers.
• Havel had tied her career high with 14 points in BGSU's previous game, a win at Northern Illinois, prior to scoring 13 points vs. UA ... she had set a career best for three-point field goals made at NIU, hitting three ... Havel again knocked down three long-range shots vs. the Zips.
• In fact, Havel made six three-pointers in a row, going a perfect 3-for-3 at NIU, then hitting her first three attempts against Akron ... she is 6-for-8 from long range over the last two games, and has shot 44.0 percent (22 of 50) from three-point land this season.
• Both Rogers and Steffen tied their season-high rebounding totals vs. Akron ... Rogers, as mentioned, pulled down a game-high 12 boards, while Steffen had nine rebounds.
• BGSU set a season best with 44 points in the paint vs. the Zips.
• The Falcons now hold a commanding 49-3 lead in the all-time series with Akron, and BGSU is a perfect 26-0 in home games vs. the Zips, including 2-0 at the Stroh.
• Akron became the first MAC team ever to score over 60 points vs. the Falcons in the Stroh Center ... BGSU has played a total of 14 games against conference foes in the building, which is now in its second season.
• For the Falcons, Wednesday's Akron game was the first of five-straight intra-divisional contests to end the regular season ... after facing Miami on Saturday, BGSU closes the home portion of the schedule with games vs. Buffalo (Feb. 28) and Ohio (March 3) ... the Brown and Orange will play at Kent State on March 6, the final night of the regular season.
• Steffen has moved into the top 20 on the BGSU career scoring list ... she now has 1,152 career points at BG ... Steffen moved past Stefanie Wenzel (1,099 points from 2000-04) in the Buffalo game ... her next target is 19th-place Andrea Nordmann, who scored 1,164 points at BGSU from 1989-93.
• After connecting on two three-point field goals vs. Akron, Steffen now has made 170 in her career ... that total ties her for sixth in BGSU history ... Steffen has matched Carin Horne's total (170 from 2003-07), and she is just three successful three-pointers away from fourth place.
• At the offensive end, the 60-point mark has been a pretty good barometer in determining BGSU's success this season ... the Falcons have a record of 17-1 when scoring 60 or more points this year ... BG is 0-7 when the offense is held under the 60-point plateau.
• The Falcons' conference opponents have averaged just 51.3 points per game over the first 12 league games.
• All 11 Falcons who have seen action this season have scored in double figures at least once ... nine of those 11 players have hit double digits more than once ... and, no fewer than 10 different players have led BGSU in scoring in at least one game this season.
ABOUT THE FALCONS
• The Falcons enter the Miami game with an overall record of 17-8 on the season ... BGSU is 8-4 in the MAC, and the Falcons are tied with Akron at the top of the East Division, with MU just a game back ... BG has won four of the last five games, including a 74-61 win over the Zips at the Stroh Center on Wednesday night (Feb. 20) ... after seeing a two-game winning streak come to an end with a 55-54 loss at Western Michigan (Feb. 10), the Brown and Orange went to the MAC's "West Coast" and came away with a 60-49 win at Northern Illinois last Saturday (Feb. 16) ... prior to the WMU game, the Falcons had picked up wins at home against then MAC-leading Central Michigan (84-59, Feb. 3) and on the road vs. Buffalo (61-56, Feb. 7).
• BG's eight MAC wins have come by a total of 161 points, an average of 20.1 points per game ... only three wins (UB, NIU and Akron) have been by fewer than 14 points ... the team's four league losses have been by a combined total of 19 points (4.8 ppg), with three of those setbacks coming by five points or fewer.
• The Falcons are 9-4 at home, 8-3 on the road and 0-1 in neutral-site games this season to date ... BGSU has a scoring margin of +9.2 and a rebounding margin of +4.1 ... in league play, BG is 4-2 at home and 4-2 in hostile venues.
• Individually, senior Chrissy Steffen and redshirt junior Alexis Rogers pace a balanced Falcon scoring attack ... Steffen is averaging 12.0 points per game, with Rogers scoring at a 10.9 ppg clip.
• Steffen leads the Falcons with 16 double-digit scoring games this season ... after being held in single digits for five consecutive games to begin MAC play, she has scored at least 10 points in each of the last seven contests ... Rogers has hit double figures in scoring 13 times this year.
• Rogers has a team-leading 6.5 rebounds per game, and also tops the Falcons in steals, with 2.1 spg ... Steffen averages 4.2 rpg along with 1.5 assists per contest, and she leads the Brown and Orange with 44 successful three-point field goals this season ... Steffen is shooting a team-best 84.1 percent from the free-throw line, and ranks second in the MAC in that category ... she has gone 53-of-63 from the stripe.
• Junior Jillian Halfhill has 8.4 ppg along with a team-leading 3.4 assists per contest ... the 5-6 point guard also has 4.8 rebounds per game, good for third on the team ... Halfhill is third in the MAC in assist/turnover ratio (1.6).
• Rogers and Halfhill, like Steffen, each are ranked among the MAC leaders in free-throw percentage ... Rogers is 10th in the league (74.7%), while Halfhill is 14th (70.2%).
• Fifth-year senior Danielle Havel has 7.3 ppg, and is near the top of the team lists in numerous categories ... Havel is second on the Falcons in both rebounds (5.5 rpg) and assists (2.1 apg), and she is also second on the team in blocked shots ... Havel has a BG-best four games with 10 or more rebounds this season to date ... she is shooting a team-best 47.8% from the field.
• Halfhill and Havel have hit 23 and 22 three-pointers, respectively, this year ... Havel is shooting 44.0% from long range.
• Freshman Miriam Justinger averages 5.4 ppg, and is shooting 79.1% from the free-throw line this year, having gone 34-of-43 ... sophomore Jasmine Matthews, who has missed 11 of the 12 MAC games due to injury, has 5.5 ppg ... both Justinger and Matthews have hit 17 three-point field goals this season, tying for fifth on the team.
• Freshman Bailey Cairnduff has 4.8 points per game and has knocked down 19 three-pointers ... BGSU's two post players off the bench, junior Jill Stein and senior Allison Papenfuss, have 4.1 and 3.8 ppg, respectively.
• Stein has 4.2 rebounds per contest, while Papenfuss has 3.5 rpg ... Stein leads the Falcons with a total of 17 blocked shots, while Havel has 15 and Papenfuss 12.
• Junior Katrina Salinas is averaging 2.7 ppg this season, while sophomore Deborah Hoekstra has 2.5 ppg ... Salinas has made 11 triples and Hoekstra eight this season.
• Each of the aforementioned 11 players has scored in double digits at least once this season, and 10 of the 11 have led BGSU in the scoring column in at least one game in 2012-13.
• Seven players have seen action in all 25 games ... that list includes Halfhill, Havel, Justinger, Papenfuss, Salinas, Steffen and Stein ... Rogers has played in 24 games, with Cairnduff seeing action in 22, Hoekstra 18 and Matthews 13 ... senior Simone Eli has been sidelined due to injury and has yet to see game action this season.
• Halfhill, Havel and Steffen each have started all 25 games this winter, while Rogers has made 24 starts ... Cairnduff started the first four games of the season, while Matthews was in the starting lineup for each of the next nine contests ... Justinger has been among the starting five for each of the Falcons' 12 MAC games.
• In MAC play, BGSU's scoring is quite balanced, as six players are averaging at least 6.3 points per game, but only two Falcons have more than 7.3 ppg ... Steffen leads that scoring list at 11.3 ppg, followed by Rogers (10.6 ppg), Halfhill (7.3 ppg), Havel (7.1 ppg), Cairnduff (6.4 ppg) and Justinger (6.3 ppg) ... each of the other five Falcons are averaging between 3.0 and 4.3 ppg in MAC action (aka #MACtion) ... Halfhill has 4.2 assists per contest and a league-best 2.5 assist-to-turnover ratio in MAC play ... Rogers has 6.3 rebounds per game and Havel 5.7 against conference foes, while Stein has 4.6 rpg ... Havel is shooting 53.3% from the field, with Rogers hitting 51.5% of her shots ... Cairnduff is second in the entire conference with a three-point field-goal percentage of 46.2% in league play ... she has gone 12-of-26 from long range vs. MAC foes ... all 11 players are averaging at least 10.1 minutes played against conference competition.
• Head coach Jennifer Roos welcomed back nine letterwinners, including four starters, from a year ago ... the Brown and Orange went 24-7 overall and 14-2 in the MAC in 2011-12 ... two of those starters, Steffen and Rogers, were selected to the Preseason All-MAC Team in 2012-13.
• Havel, Rogers and Steffen each started all 31 games a year ago, while Matthews made 21 starts as a frosh ... Halfhill played in all 31 games, starting the first 10.
• The Falcons are shooting 38.9% from the field, and BG is 32.9% from three-point range and 71.7% from the free-throw line through the first 25 games ... the opponents have shot 37.4% from the floor, 27.5% from beyond the arc and 68.1% from the stripe.
• In MAC action, BGSU is shooting 40.0% from the floor, 32.9% from long range and 70.7% from the line ... the opponents have a field-goal pct. of 35.8%, a three-point rate of just 25.6% (50-of-195) and a free-throw pct. of 68.7% in league play.
A QUICK LOOK AT MIAMI
Miami has a record of 15-10 on the season, and the RedHawks are 7-5 in MAC action ... MU trails East Division co-leaders BGSU and Akron by just one game with four games to play in the regular season ... the RedHawks snapped a three-game losing streak with a 69-56 road win over Buffalo on Wednesday night (Feb. 20) ... in that win at UB, senior guard Courtney Osborn became her school's all-time leading scorer ... she now has 1,995 career points at MU ... the RedHawks are 7-5 at home, 7-4 on the road and 1-1 in neutral-site games this season to date ... in MAC play, MU is 2-4 at Millett Hall and 5-1 away from home ... Osborn paces the team and ranks second in the MAC in scoring, with 17.5 points per game ... she is third in the league with 4.8 assists per outing ... senior forward Kirsten Olowinski is averaging a double-double, with 11.7 ppg and a MAC-leading 10.2 rebounds per contest ... junior guard Hannah Robertson has 9.9 ppg and 4.3 rpg, while junior forward Erica Almady has 7.8 ppg along with 4.8 rpg ... junior guard Haley Robertson rounds out the probable starting five, and has 6.7 ppg to date ... head coach Maria Fantanarosa welcomed back eight letterwinners, including three starters, from last year's team ... the 2011-12 RedHawks finished 21-10 overall and 11-5 in the MAC and advanced to the WNIT.
The Falcons lead Miami, 45-26, in the all-time series between the teams, but MU captured the last meeting ... just under a month ago (Jan. 24, 2013), the RedHawks pulled out a 57-54 victory at the Stroh Center, snapping a seven-game BGSU series winning streak ... the Brown and Orange swept last season's two matchups, with a narrow 61-58 win at Millett Hall (Jan. 19, 2012) and a 64-55 triumph on 'Senior Day' at the Stroh (Feb. 25, 2012) ... prior to last month, Miami's last series win had been a 45-40 decision at Millett four years ago (March 4, 2009), a victory that snapped the Falcons' school-record 25-game winning streak ... BGSU is 21-12 in home games, 18-13 on the road and 6-1 in neutral-site contests vs. the Redskins/RedHawks through the years ... Jennifer Roos has a record of 0-1 against Miami as a collegiate head coach.
Following the Miami game, the Falcons will return home for a pair of contests next week ... BGSU will face Buffalo on Thursday (Feb. 28) at the Stroh Center, with tipoff at 7:00 p.m. ... then, the Brown and Orange will host Ohio on Sunday, March 3, which will be 'Senior Day' at the Stroh ... BG closes the regular-season schedule with a March 6 matchup at Kent State ... the MAC Tournament begins with first-round games at campus sites on Saturday, March 9.