MILWAUKEE, Wisc. - The Toledo men's tennis team dealt Marquette its first home loss of the season by a score of 5-2 at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium Saturday night. The loss was also the first in dual competition for the Golden Eagles not against a nationally ranked opponent.
"Another full team effort tonight in Marquette's own building," UT head coach Al Wermer said. "These guys are tough, and still getting tougher. Our doubles finally looked sharper and it simply came down to the next man stepping up in singles after Nicky went down."
Toledo opened the match by claiming the doubles point, posting wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. Sophomores Tomas Stillman and Nicky Wong won the first flight 8-3, while senior Francisco Stuardo and sophomore Grant Adams claimed the second doubles match 8-6.
The Rockets were able to post three singles victories to secure the team victory. Adams and Stuardo took the No. 2 and 3 matches in straight sets, respectively. Then the senior pair of Terence Weigand and Bryant Dudzik produced two huge wins at the final two singles flights in straight sets. Stillman battled at the top flight, but lost a tight match in three sets.
The Rockets return to action on Sunday, Feb. 24 with a matinee contest at Wisconsin Green-Bay scheduled for Noon CT.
Toledo 5, Marquette 2
1. Dan Mamalat (MU) def. Tomas Stillman (TOLEDO) 7-5, 2-6, 7-6
2. Grant Adams (TOLEDO) def. Vukasin Teofanovic (MU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Francisco Stuardo (TOLEDO) def. Logon Collins (MU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Cameron Tehrani (MU) def. Nicholas Wong (TOLEDO) 6-3, 6-2
5. Terence Weigand (TOLEDO) def. Gleb Sklyr (MU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Bryant Dudzik (TOLEDO) def. David Packowitz (MU) 6-4, 6-3
1. Tomas Stillman/Nicholas Wong (TOL) def. Dan Mamalat/Vukasin Teofanovic (MU)8-3
2. Francisco Stuardo/Grant Adams (TOL) def. Logon Collins/Cameron Tehrani (MU) 8-6
3. David Packowitz/Gleb Sklyr (MU) def. Bryant Dudzik/Ryan Jorgensen (TOL) 8-7