Fire fighters cite and shut down local business - 13abc.com Toledo (OH) News, Weather and Sports

Fire fighters cite and shut down local business

Posted: Updated:

The fire department and city leaders shut down a local business citing multiple safety violations.
 The business is called Tires by Red. It's located at 7 City Park.

The sticker on the business of Tires by Red reads "warning unfit for human habitation." A judge ordered the business to be boarded up. Court documents show Rachael Dennings is renting the building to run her business. Firefighters say the business has numerous fire safety and health violations.  

"There's improper storage of tires. Its not only an eye sore but it's a safety issue for folks who live in the neighborhood as well as crews if they would respond to a fire here," Toledo Fire Fighter Lt Matthew Hertzfeld.

The dog warden was called to remove dogs from the premises.

The owners of the building had to call a locksmith because Dennings changed the locks on the building. Dennings is behind bars at the Lucas County jail. According to court documents when officers showed up to arrest her yesterday for numerous warrants, she allegedly removed a gun and "placed it on a shelf to avoid additional charges" and "the gun fell and hit the floor"

The inside of the business looks like the outside with tires everywhere.  

"The tires outside if they became involved in fire it could provide toxic drain off run off to nearby streams or those types of things as well as air quality issues. I understand there's storage problems on the inside with tires as well and that's our biggest concern the safety issue that poses not only to the occupants but to our fire fighters and the impact has on the neighborhood," said Lt. Hertzfeld.

City leaders say they tried to work with Dennings while she was renting the building, but she did not comply with any of their warnings. City leaders say the owners of the building will be retired to clean up and get rid of the tires on the property.

  • LocalMore>>

  • 4,000 pounds of potato salad destroyed at German American Festival

    4,000 pounds of potato salad destroyed at German American Festival

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:58 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:58:18 GMT
    Four-thousand pounds of potato salad, sauerkraut, and packets of sour cream for potato pancakes were destroyed in a trailer fire at the German American Festival in Oregon.Fire crews say the generator overheated and caught on fire around 6 a.m. Friday morning.
    Four-thousand pounds of potato salad, sauerkraut, and packets of sour cream for potato pancakes were destroyed in a trailer fire at the German American Festival in Oregon.Fire crews say the generator overheated and caught on fire around 6 a.m. Friday morning.
  • Sylvania estimates water crisis cost $1.5M in lost revenue

    Sylvania estimates water crisis cost $1.5M in lost revenue

    Thursday, August 21 2014 11:05 PM EDT2014-08-22 03:05:51 GMT
    The Sylvania Chamber of Commerce estimates businesses lost a total of nearly $1.5 million dollars in economic revenue during the three-day water ban.
    The Sylvania Chamber of Commerce estimates businesses lost a total of nearly $1.5 million dollars in economic revenue during the three-day water ban.
  • Customers stock up on water cases after rumors of another ban

    Customers stock up on water cases after rumors of another ban

    Thursday, August 21 2014 10:21 PM EDT2014-08-22 02:21:26 GMT
    Hannah Ogden decided she wasn't going to take any chances on the water. She bought two 24-pack cases Thursday evening after hearing rumors that Toledo was going back under a ban."It wasn't hectic like that or anything like it was the previous time, but the entire aisle where the water normally is was empty," says Ogden.Over at The Andersons Store on Talmadge Road, shelves were nearly two-thirds full. While the city never issued a warning or advisory, it didn't stop some customers from buying ...
    Hannah Ogden decided she wasn't going to take any chances on the water. She bought two 24-pack cases Thursday evening after hearing rumors that Toledo was going back under a ban."It wasn't hectic like that or anything like it was the previous time, but the entire aisle where the water normally is was empty," says Ogden.Over at The Andersons Store on Talmadge Road, shelves were nearly two-thirds full. While the city never issued a warning or advisory, it didn't stop some customers from buying ...
  • Top StoriesMore>>

  • 4,000 pounds of potato salad destroyed at German American Festival

    4,000 pounds of potato salad destroyed at German American Festival

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:58 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:58:18 GMT
    Four-thousand pounds of potato salad, sauerkraut, and packets of sour cream for potato pancakes were destroyed in a trailer fire at the German American Festival in Oregon.Fire crews say the generator overheated and caught on fire around 6 a.m. Friday morning.
    Four-thousand pounds of potato salad, sauerkraut, and packets of sour cream for potato pancakes were destroyed in a trailer fire at the German American Festival in Oregon.Fire crews say the generator overheated and caught on fire around 6 a.m. Friday morning.
  • Christie heading to Ohio in September

    Christie heading to Ohio in September

    Gov. Chris Christie has added another politically important state to his fundraising tour for fellow GOP candidates.
    Gov. Chris Christie has added another politically important state to his fundraising tour for fellow GOP candidates.
  • TFD responds to electrical fire

    TFD responds to electrical fire

    Friday, August 22 2014 6:29 AM EDT2014-08-22 10:29:40 GMT
    Toledo Fire and Rescue crews responded to an electrical fire at a two story duplex. It happened around 5:20a.m. on the 700 block of Indiana Ave. Chief on scene says fire started in the middle bedroom
    Toledo Fire and Rescue crews responded to an electrical fire at a two story duplex. It happened around 520a.m. on the 700 block of Indiana Ave. Chief on scene says fire started in the middle bedroom due to problems with the homes electrical wiring. There were four people living upstairs and two living in the downstairs unit. No injuries are being reported. Th

Area Events Calendar

See It, Shoot It, Send It!