New York Times says Al Qaeda not behind Benghazi attack - 13abc.com Toledo (OH) News, Weather and Sports

New York Times says Al Qaeda not behind Benghazi attack

Posted: Updated:

A New York Times reports indicates that Al Qaeda was not behind the deadly September 11, 2012 attack on the U.S. compound in Benghazi, Libya.

The newspaper story contradicts what many in Congress and the White House has said about the attack. It also calls into question Republican accusations that the Obama administration engaged in a cover-up on the incident.

There are three major points of contention surround the incident: whether the attack was premeditated, sparked by an anti-Muslim video, and if Al Qaeda was involved.

The New York Times says the Obama administration's version of events, which focused on outrage over the inflammatory video, is incorrect. The article noted, "The reality in Benghazi was different and murkier... Benghazi was not infiltrated by Al Qaeda, but nonetheless contained grave local threats to American interests."

The publication added that the attack was neither "meticulously planned" nor "spontaneous." The article says that the anti-Muslim video did motivate the initial attack.

U.S. Ambassador CHris Stevens and three other Americans died during in the attack at the U.S. Diplomatic Compound.

  • Top StoriesMore>>

  • Video purports to show beheading of US journalist

    Video purports to show beheading of US journalist

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:46 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:46:44 GMT
    An Internet video purports to show the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State group. Sotloff, who freelanced for Time and Foreign Policy magazines, had last been seen in Syrian in August 2013 until he appeared in a video released online last month by the Islamic State group that showed the beheading of fellow American journalist James Foley.
    An Internet video purports to show the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State group. Sotloff, who freelanced for Time and Foreign Policy magazines, had last been seen in Syrian in August 2013 until he appeared in a video released online last month by the Islamic State group that showed the beheading of fellow American journalist James Foley.
  • Cedar Point announces Mantis is out October 19th

    Cedar Point announces Mantis is out October 19th

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:19 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:19:41 GMT
    Cedar Point has announced that the Mantis Roller Coaster is shutting down.
    Cedar Point has announced that the Mantis Roller Coaster is shutting down.
  • Major construction project could tie up traffic

    Major construction project could tie up traffic

    Monday, September 1 2014 6:20 PM EDT2014-09-01 22:20:52 GMT
     A major construction project is about to start along State Route 420 in Wood County and that could mean delays for drivers, but ODOT hopes it will eventually clear up congestion.
     A major construction project is about to start along State Route 420 in Wood County and that could mean delays for drivers, but ODOT hopes it will eventually clear up congestion.

Area Events Calendar

See It, Shoot It, Send It!