TFD holds ice rescue training on Maumee River - 13abc.com Toledo (OH) News, Weather and Sports

TFD holds ice rescue training on Maumee River

Posted: Updated:

The Toledo fire department held ice rescue training today on the Maumee river. The exercises are designed to mimic a real life emergency situation.  The Toledo fire department occasionally gets calls to rescue someone off or out of the ice.  Today's training was intense and challenging

"Our recommendations is folks don't go on the ice don't venture out onto the ice there are too many things that can go wrong," said Toledo Fire Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld.

When it comes to an emergency timing is everything. Especially when it comes to rescuing someone who's fallen through the ice.  

"The water you introduce hypothermia at a rapid rate so time is of the essence and fortunately with these new techniques that our water rescue team is learning and the equipment we've been able to acquire its all rapid set up so by the time they arrive on scene they are able to deploy quickly," said Toledo Fire Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld.

 Today the Toledo fire departments water rescue team practiced water rescues at the coast guard station.
 
"Being out here in the elements introduces that stress of being out here in the water of being on the ice of having that exposure to the cold," said Lt. Hertzfeld.
 
They wore dry suits and used a boat that looks like a yellow banana called a rapid deployment craft to hone their skills.  

"The equipment we use is designed for ice rescues from the suits to the shepherds hooks all those things have been designed around various ice rescue techniques," said Lt. Hertzfeld.

Rescue techniques that can save lives. Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld says if you happen to venture out on the ice, be prepared.

"If you should go on the ice then make sure that someone knows where you're going makes sure you have a cell phone with you and make sure you are dressed accordingly for the weather because if you should fall through those layers will help you maintain some heat in that water in you can't get out by yourself," said Lt. Hertzfeld.  

The fire department practices water rescues several times a year.

  • LocalMore>>

  • 4,000 pounds of potato salad destroyed at German American Festival

    4,000 pounds of potato salad destroyed at German American Festival

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:58 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:58:18 GMT
    Four-thousand pounds of potato salad, sauerkraut, and packets of sour cream for potato pancakes were destroyed in a trailer fire at the German American Festival in Oregon.Fire crews say the generator overheated and caught on fire around 6 a.m. Friday morning.
    Four-thousand pounds of potato salad, sauerkraut, and packets of sour cream for potato pancakes were destroyed in a trailer fire at the German American Festival in Oregon.Fire crews say the generator overheated and caught on fire around 6 a.m. Friday morning.
  • Sylvania estimates water crisis cost $1.5M in lost revenue

    Sylvania estimates water crisis cost $1.5M in lost revenue

    Thursday, August 21 2014 11:05 PM EDT2014-08-22 03:05:51 GMT
    The Sylvania Chamber of Commerce estimates businesses lost a total of nearly $1.5 million dollars in economic revenue during the three-day water ban.
    The Sylvania Chamber of Commerce estimates businesses lost a total of nearly $1.5 million dollars in economic revenue during the three-day water ban.
  • Customers stock up on water cases after rumors of another ban

    Customers stock up on water cases after rumors of another ban

    Thursday, August 21 2014 10:21 PM EDT2014-08-22 02:21:26 GMT
    Hannah Ogden decided she wasn't going to take any chances on the water. She bought two 24-pack cases Thursday evening after hearing rumors that Toledo was going back under a ban."It wasn't hectic like that or anything like it was the previous time, but the entire aisle where the water normally is was empty," says Ogden.Over at The Andersons Store on Talmadge Road, shelves were nearly two-thirds full. While the city never issued a warning or advisory, it didn't stop some customers from buying ...
    Hannah Ogden decided she wasn't going to take any chances on the water. She bought two 24-pack cases Thursday evening after hearing rumors that Toledo was going back under a ban."It wasn't hectic like that or anything like it was the previous time, but the entire aisle where the water normally is was empty," says Ogden.Over at The Andersons Store on Talmadge Road, shelves were nearly two-thirds full. While the city never issued a warning or advisory, it didn't stop some customers from buying ...
  • Top StoriesMore>>

  • 4,000 pounds of potato salad destroyed at German American Festival

    4,000 pounds of potato salad destroyed at German American Festival

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:58 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:58:18 GMT
    Four-thousand pounds of potato salad, sauerkraut, and packets of sour cream for potato pancakes were destroyed in a trailer fire at the German American Festival in Oregon.Fire crews say the generator overheated and caught on fire around 6 a.m. Friday morning.
    Four-thousand pounds of potato salad, sauerkraut, and packets of sour cream for potato pancakes were destroyed in a trailer fire at the German American Festival in Oregon.Fire crews say the generator overheated and caught on fire around 6 a.m. Friday morning.
  • Christie heading to Ohio in September

    Christie heading to Ohio in September

    Gov. Chris Christie has added another politically important state to his fundraising tour for fellow GOP candidates.
    Gov. Chris Christie has added another politically important state to his fundraising tour for fellow GOP candidates.
  • TFD responds to electrical fire

    TFD responds to electrical fire

    Friday, August 22 2014 6:29 AM EDT2014-08-22 10:29:40 GMT
    Toledo Fire and Rescue crews responded to an electrical fire at a two story duplex. It happened around 5:20a.m. on the 700 block of Indiana Ave. Chief on scene says fire started in the middle bedroom
    Toledo Fire and Rescue crews responded to an electrical fire at a two story duplex. It happened around 520a.m. on the 700 block of Indiana Ave. Chief on scene says fire started in the middle bedroom due to problems with the homes electrical wiring. There were four people living upstairs and two living in the downstairs unit. No injuries are being reported. Th

Area Events Calendar

See It, Shoot It, Send It!