Ohioans warned of home improvement scams - 13abc.com Toledo (OH) News, Weather and Sports

Ohioans warned of home improvement scams

Posted: Updated:
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Ohio's attorney general is warning consumers about spring home improvement scams.

Attorney General Mike DeWine says warmer weather brings more door-to-door home improvement sales. He says consumers should be cautious and research the reputation of a business and individual contractor before agreeing to anything.

DeWine says consumers should check with his office and the Better Business Bureau for any complaints against the company. Ohioans also can search the Internet and ask contractors for references from past customers.

DeWine says consumers have a three-day right to cancel most door-to-door sales and businesses must give written notice of that right.

The Ohio Attorney General's Consumer Protection Section has filed five home improvement lawsuits so far this year against contractors believed to be violating the state's Consumer Sales Practices Act.

  • Top StoriesMore>>

  • 4,000 pounds of potato salad destroyed at German American Festival

    4,000 pounds of potato salad destroyed at German American Festival

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:17 AM EDT2014-08-22 11:17:25 GMT
    Four-thousand pounds of potato salad, sauerkraut, and packets of sour cream for potato pancakes were destroyed in a trailer fire at the German American Festival in Oregon.Fire crews say the generator overheated and caught on fire around 6 a.m. Friday morning.
    Four-thousand pounds of potato salad, sauerkraut, and packets of sour cream for potato pancakes were destroyed in a trailer fire at the German American Festival in Oregon.Fire crews say the generator overheated and caught on fire around 6 a.m. Friday morning.
  • TFD responds to electrical fire

    TFD responds to electrical fire

    Friday, August 22 2014 6:29 AM EDT2014-08-22 10:29:40 GMT
    Toledo Fire and Rescue crews responded to an electrical fire at a two story duplex. It happened around 5:20a.m. on the 700 block of Indiana Ave. Chief on scene says fire started in the middle bedroom
    Toledo Fire and Rescue crews responded to an electrical fire at a two story duplex. It happened around 520a.m. on the 700 block of Indiana Ave. Chief on scene says fire started in the middle bedroom due to problems with the homes electrical wiring. There were four people living upstairs and two living in the downstairs unit. No injuries are being reported. Th
  • Customers stock up on water cases after rumors of another ban

    Customers stock up on water cases after rumors of another ban

    Thursday, August 21 2014 10:21 PM EDT2014-08-22 02:21:26 GMT
    Hannah Ogden decided she wasn't going to take any chances on the water. She bought two 24-pack cases Thursday evening after hearing rumors that Toledo was going back under a ban."It wasn't hectic like that or anything like it was the previous time, but the entire aisle where the water normally is was empty," says Ogden.Over at The Andersons Store on Talmadge Road, shelves were nearly two-thirds full. While the city never issued a warning or advisory, it didn't stop some customers from buying ...
    Hannah Ogden decided she wasn't going to take any chances on the water. She bought two 24-pack cases Thursday evening after hearing rumors that Toledo was going back under a ban."It wasn't hectic like that or anything like it was the previous time, but the entire aisle where the water normally is was empty," says Ogden.Over at The Andersons Store on Talmadge Road, shelves were nearly two-thirds full. While the city never issued a warning or advisory, it didn't stop some customers from buying ...

Area Events Calendar

See It, Shoot It, Send It!