Son of Hunger Games asst. director suspected in mass shooting - 13abc.com Toledo (OH) News, Weather and Sports

Son of Hunger Games asst. director suspected in mass shooting

Posted: Updated:
A Hollywood director and his family believe his son is responsible for a shooting rampage near a Santa Barbara university campus, an attorney for the director said Saturday. The family has not yet seen his body, but they have been told he was killed and believe he killed six people Saturday night, Alan Shifman said.

Shifman is the attorney for Peter Rodger, who was an assistant director on "The Hunger Games" film series. Authorities have not confirmed the identity of the shooter.

Police said a gunman driving a BMW near the university campus went on a rampage that left seven people dead, including the shooter, authorities said Saturday, describing the tragedy as "obviously the work of a mad man."

Seven people remain hospitalized with gunshot wounds or other injuries, including one who has undergone surgery, following the shooting spree Friday night in the beachside community of Isla Vista, Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said.

The gunman got into two gun battles before crashing his black BMW into a parked car. Deputies found the lone suspect dead with a gunshot wound to the head, but it wasn't immediately clear whether he was killed by gunfire or if he committed suicide, Brown said.

A semi-automatic handgun was recovered from the scene near the University of California, Santa Barbara. Investigators know the gunman's name, but Brown said he couldn't release it pending notification of relatives.

Describing the atrocity as "premeditated mass murder," Brown said, authorities were analyzing a disturbing YouTube video posted that shows a young man describing plans to shoot women that appears to be connected to the attack.

Officials would not say whether the person in the video was a suspect in the shooting.

"It's obviously the work of a mad man," Brown said.

In the video, posted Friday, the man sits in a black car and looks at the camera, laughing often, and says he is going to take his revenge against humanity. He describes loneliness and frustration because "girls have never been attracted to me," and says, at age 22, he is still a virgin. The video, which is almost seven minutes long, appears scripted. The identity of the person in the video could not be independently confirmed.

The shootings started around 9:30 p.m. in Isla Vista, a roughly half-square mile community next to UC Santa Barbara's campus and picturesque beachside cliffs.

Alexander Mattera, 23, said his friend Chris Johnson, was walking out of an improv comedy show when he was shot in front of a popular pizza place. He stumbled into a nearby house.

"He walked into these random guys' house bleeding," he said.

Mattera was sitting at a bonfire with friends when at least one gunshot whizzed overhead. The friends ran for cover when they heard the barrage of gunfire.

"We heard so many gunshots, it was unbelievable. I thought they were firecrackers. There had to have been at least like two guns. There were a lot of shots," he said.

The shootings occurred at several sites, resulting in nine crime scenes, police said.

A visibly shaken student told the station she was approached by the driver of a black BMW who flashed a handgun and asked "Hey, what's up?" The student, who didn't provide her full name, said she thought he was carrying an airsoft gun and kept walking. She said seconds later, she felt something buzz by her head and quickly realized they were bullets.

Kathrin Schirazi Rad got a call from her 21-year-old son, Adrian Timothy Petersson, who told her in a shaky voice that he had been knocked off his skateboard by a BMW being chased by police about 9 p.m. Friday. He hurt his shoulder, but he went home after being checked by first responders to the scene.

"He was in shock," said Rad, who lives in Sweden. "He saw some plastic bags and said somebody must have died. He couldn't confirm anything. He was pretty shaken up. It was so many things happening at the same time."

The victims' identities were not immediately released.

In a statement, the University of California, Santa Barbara said it's "shocked and saddened" by the shootings. The university would not say if any of the dead or injured were students.

No deputies were injured or shot. Brown called it a "heartbreaking situation for a community next to a world-class university."

Isla Vista has a reputation for excessive partying. Last month, an annual spring bash spiraled into violence as young people clashed with police and tossed rocks and bottles. A university police officer and four deputies were injured and 130 people were arrested.

The community has experienced other tragedies in the past.

In 2001, the son of "Ally McBeal" TV director Daniel Attias ran down four pedestrians with his car on a crowded Isla Vista street. Witnesses testified that part-time college student David Attias got of the car and shouted: "I am the angel of death."

David Attias was ruled insane after he was convicted of second-degree murder and is locked up in a state mental hospital.

  • Top StoriesMore>>

  • Video purports to show beheading of US journalist

    Video purports to show beheading of US journalist

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:46 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:46:44 GMT
    An Internet video purports to show the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State group. Sotloff, who freelanced for Time and Foreign Policy magazines, had last been seen in Syrian in August 2013 until he appeared in a video released online last month by the Islamic State group that showed the beheading of fellow American journalist James Foley.
    An Internet video purports to show the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State group. Sotloff, who freelanced for Time and Foreign Policy magazines, had last been seen in Syrian in August 2013 until he appeared in a video released online last month by the Islamic State group that showed the beheading of fellow American journalist James Foley.
  • Cedar Point announces Mantis is out October 19th

    Cedar Point announces Mantis is out October 19th

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:19 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:19:41 GMT
    Cedar Point has announced that the Mantis Roller Coaster is shutting down.
    Cedar Point has announced that the Mantis Roller Coaster is shutting down.
  • Major construction project could tie up traffic

    Major construction project could tie up traffic

    Monday, September 1 2014 6:20 PM EDT2014-09-01 22:20:52 GMT
     A major construction project is about to start along State Route 420 in Wood County and that could mean delays for drivers, but ODOT hopes it will eventually clear up congestion.
     A major construction project is about to start along State Route 420 in Wood County and that could mean delays for drivers, but ODOT hopes it will eventually clear up congestion.

Area Events Calendar

See It, Shoot It, Send It!