Telemarketing Millionaire Convicted of Witness Tampering - 13abc.com Toledo (OH) News, Weather and Sports

Telemarketing Millionaire Convicted of Witness Tampering

Posted: Updated:
 CLEVELAND (AP) - A northeast Ohio telemarketing millionaire was convicted Monday by a federal court jury of witness tampering but was acquitted on more serious charges of illegally funneling campaign donations to two Republican politicians.
    
Ben Suarez, 72, the owner of Suarez Corporation Industries in North Canton, could have received 12 years in prison if convicted on all of the eight counts he faced. He was acquitted of conspiracy to violate federal campaign finance laws, corporate donations, donations in others' names, conspiracy to commit obstruction of justice and three counts of false statements. Two counts of obstruction of justice were dismissed during the trial for insufficient evidence.
    
The jurors reached their verdict after deliberating a day-and-a-half. All declined to comment afterward.
    
Suarez's lead attorney, Mark Schamel, said there were plans to appeal the witness tampering conviction, which involved two letters and a phone call to a longtime employee.
    
Schamel said throughout the monthlong trial that Suarez was innocent because he didn't willfully break the law when he had his company repay former employees, relatives and others who had donated to the 2012 campaign of U.S. Rep. Jim Renacci and the failed U.S. Senate bid of Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel.
    
"They brought a campaign finance case they couldn't prove," Schamel said.
    
Federal prosecutors argued that Suarez was politically savvy and a longtime contributor to Republican and conservative causes. The government's star witness was Michael Giorgio, the former chief financial officer for Suarez Corporation Industries. He pleaded guilty in May to some of the same charges for which Suarez was acquitted.
    
Giorgio agreed to testify against his former boss in exchange for a lighter sentence. He testified he knew it was illegal for the company to reimburse people who had been asked to donate. Giorgio testified that he and Suarez devised a scheme to collect the money back from employees after learning about an FBI probe.
    
"I knew right off the bat what we're doing wasn't right," Giorgio said.
    
Schamel argued at trial that Giorgio did not commit any crimes, and if Giorgio is innocent, so is Suarez.
    
Steven Dettelbach, U.S. attorney for the northern district of Ohio, said he did not agree with the entire verdict, but added that the witness tampering conviction showed Suarez tried to subvert justice.
    
The case began after an article in The (Toledo) Blade in 2011 about numerous contributions made to the Renacci and Mandel campaigns that year. The politicians' campaigns received a total of $100,000 each in just a matter of days. Prosecutors accused Suarez of bundling the donations in the hope the politicians would help his company with a costly consumer protection complaint in California.
    
Renacci and Mandel wrote letters on behalf of Suarez's company, but neither politician was accused of wrongdoing and their campaigns returned the donations after learning about the FBI probe.
    
Renacci and Mandel were among a number of Republicans subpoenaed in the case, but they were not called to testify. Others included Ohio Gov. John Kasich, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine, and Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted.
    
Suarez's sentencing for the witness tampering conviction is scheduled for Oct. 7.



  • RegionalMore>>

  • Farmers make proactive steps to reduce runoff

    Farmers make proactive steps to reduce runoff

    Monday, September 1 2014 4:36 PM EDT2014-09-01 20:36:19 GMT
    Many farmers have their soil professionally tested every year and they only add the recommended nutrients on their crops. They are doing what they can to keep chemicals out of the runoff.
    Many farmers have their soil professionally tested every year and they only add the recommended nutrients on their crops. They are doing what they can to keep chemicals out of the runoff.
  • Man found dead in barn fire, woman escapes

    Man found dead in barn fire, woman escapes

    Monday, September 1 2014 4:22 PM EDT2014-09-01 20:22:09 GMT
    One man is dead after an overnight barn fire in northern Monroe County.The sheriff's office says that barn went up in flames just before 1 a.m. Monday.It happened outside of Carelton, MI, near the intersection of Colf and Sumpter.Investigators say a 54-year-old lived in an apartment above the barn. His body was found inside.According to deputies, the man's girlfriend managed to get out alive, with burns on her hands and feet.The sheriff is waiting to release the man's identity until his famil...
    One man is dead after an overnight barn fire in northern Monroe County.The sheriff's office says that barn went up in flames just before 1 a.m. Monday.It happened outside of Carelton, MI, near the intersection of Colf and Sumpter.Investigators say a 54-year-old lived in an apartment above the barn. His body was found inside.According to deputies, the man's girlfriend managed to get out alive, with burns on her hands and feet.The sheriff is waiting to release the man's identity until his famil...
  • Body recovered, 8 rescued overnight in Indian Lake

    Body recovered, 8 rescued overnight in Indian Lake

    Monday, September 1 2014 11:01 AM EDT2014-09-01 15:01:12 GMT
    LAKEVIEW, Ohio (AP) - Authorities recovered the body of a 22-year-old man from a western Ohio lake after responding to a call about a sinking boat. An Ohio Department of Natural Resources statement says eight of the nine people on the boat were rescued. State watercraft officers say they received the call about a boat sinking on Indian Lake north of the Lakeview boat ramp around 12:30 a.m. Sunday. Crews from area fire departments had already safely pulled the eight people from the water when ...
    LAKEVIEW, Ohio (AP) - Authorities recovered the body of a 22-year-old man from a western Ohio lake after responding to a call about a sinking boat. An Ohio Department of Natural Resources statement says eight of the nine people on the boat were rescued. State watercraft officers say they received the call about a boat sinking on Indian Lake north of the Lakeview boat ramp around 12:30 a.m. Sunday. Crews from area fire departments had already safely pulled the eight people from the water when ...
  • Top StoriesMore>>

  • Major construction project could tie up traffic

    Major construction project could tie up traffic

    Monday, September 1 2014 6:20 PM EDT2014-09-01 22:20:52 GMT
     A major construction project is about to start along State Route 420 in Wood County and that could mean delays for drivers, but ODOT hopes it will eventually clear up congestion.
     A major construction project is about to start along State Route 420 in Wood County and that could mean delays for drivers, but ODOT hopes it will eventually clear up congestion.
  • Early Head Start aims to offer services for whole family

    Early Head Start aims to offer services for whole family

    Monday, September 1 2014 5:44 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:44:51 GMT
    Students in Toledo's Head Start program are headed back to school soon. For the first time the program is being run by Toledo Public Schools.
    Students in Toledo's Head Start program are headed back to school soon. For the first time the program is being run by Toledo Public Schools.
  • Dollar General upping its bid for Family Dollar

    Dollar General upping its bid for Family Dollar

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 6:53 AM EDT2014-09-02 10:53:52 GMT
    GOODLETTSVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Dollar General is boosting its bid for rival Family Dollar to approximately $9.1 billion and says it's now willing to more than double the number of stores it would shed to avoid trouble with regulators.The newest bid from Dollar General is worth $80 per share, up from $78.50. Dollar General's previous bid, worth nearly $9 billion, was rejected by Family Dollar in favor of an offer of about $8.5 billion one Dollar Tree Inc.Dollar General Corp. said Tuesday it will...
    GOODLETTSVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Dollar General is boosting its bid for rival Family Dollar to approximately $9.1 billion and says it's now willing to more than double the number of stores it would shed to avoid trouble with regulators.The newest bid from Dollar General is worth $80 per share, up from $78.50. Dollar General's previous bid, worth nearly $9 billion, was rejected by Family Dollar in favor of an offer of about $8.5 billion one Dollar Tree Inc.Dollar General Corp. said Tuesday it will...

Area Events Calendar

See It, Shoot It, Send It!