Monroe girl electrocuted after touching downed lines

Monroe girl electrocuted after storm downs power line
Published: Aug. 29, 2022 at 10:08 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MONROE, Michigan (WTVG) - A 14-year-old girl is dead after touching a downed electrical line in her backyard, police said.

Monroe Public Schools identified the victim as Elizabeth Jacobsen.

Multiple emergency agencies responded to a report of a girl electrocuted in the 1400 block of Peters Street in Monroe on Monday. According to the Monroe Public Safety Department, the teen accidentally grabbed a charged electrical line that came down from storms rolling through the area.

Police said Jacobsen was still in contact with the energized electrical line when first responders arrived at the scene. DTE Energy crews disconnected the power lines so first responders could help her but she died by the time the scene was safe.

According to Monroe Police detectives, Jacobsen was walking with a friend in her backyard when they believed they could “smell a bonfire.” The victim reached for what she believed was a stick when she was electrocuted by a charged electrical line.

The safety department said it is working to support the families of the victim.

“There are no words to express the loss of this sweet girl who had her whole life ahead of her,” the school district said in a statement. “Elizabeth would have been a freshman at Monroe High School this year. She recently completed eighth grade at Monroe Middle School, where she touched classmates and staff with her kind heart and bright smile. She is also dearly remembered by teachers and staff at Raisinville and Custer where she attended elementary school.”

The school district said social-emotional team members are at Monroe Middle School to offer support for staff and students. MPS is encouraging parents to talk to their children about their feelings as part of the healing process amid the tragedy.

See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Please include the title when you click here to report it.