Woman loses home, job, and possessions after Fairfield Inn catches fire
TOLEDO, Ohio (WTVG) - Toledo Fire and Rescue are were the scene of a hotel fire at the Fairfield Inn on Benore Rd. Wednesday morning.
Guests and staff were evacuated, and no one was injured.
A power line fell on the roof, sparking the flames. The fire then bled into the building. The wind Wednesday made the fire more difficult to extinguish.
“When our crews did get on scene they did have active fire on the roof line. It’s a large hotel and it was in the upper floors and the attic area,” says Pvt. Sterling Rahe with Toledo Fire and Rescue.
Dawn Duff is the onsite manager at the Fairfield Inn.
“The electrical pole fell and hit the roof and caught the roof on fire and the attic. But you didn’t know the hotel was on fire until it came down and set the front of the building on fire,” says Duff.
She works the overnight shift and was on the clock when the fire started.
“I came outside to smoke a cigarette and the front of the building caught on fire,” says Duff.
Duff says she was the first person to realize the hotel had burst into flames. She says she started to evacuate people.
Since Duff is a manager at the hotel and she lives in one of the rooms. She lost her home, her job, and all her things in one fell swoop: “Everything. Everything I own is in that building.”
Duff was able to see some of her possessions.
“They brought some of my stuff out,” says Duff. “They said everything in there is destroyed.”
Duff was on a TARTA bus when 13abc spoke to her, hanging out until she could find somewhere else to go.
“I don’t know how to feel right now,” says Duff. “It’s just one of those days.”
13abc asked Duff what was next for her. She got emotional thinking about all the things this fire took away from her. Right now she has nothing, but she refuses to give up.
“I’ll figure it out.”
See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Please include the title when you click here to report it.
Copyright 2022 WTVG. All rights reserved.