TOLEDO (WTVG) - The city of Toledo announced a $2 million COVID-19 Emergency Renter Assistance Fund that will assist renters and landlords during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“COVID-19 has caused unprecedented job loss and income reduction to low- and moderate-income families in Toledo,” Toledo Mayor Wade Kapszukiewicz said. “Inability to pay rent threatens housing stability for all tenants and the continued financial viability of Toledo’s affordable housing.”
The ERAF will assist approximately 700 households. People can receive up to $2,500 to assist with rent payments. Applicants will need to provide documentation that they are having trouble meeting rent payments because of the coronavirus. The money will go directly to the landlord.
The money will last for three months. The money will be for people who are low income, but it also applies to people paying market rate. There are some income guidelines when the analysis is done on each application.
Applications can be found by visiting the city of Toledo website.
Eligible program participants must:
• Rent a house or an apartment in the city of Toledo. This requirement does not apply to homeless individuals.
• Demonstrate lost income due to COVID-19, such as paystubs, letter of layoff or termination, records of unemployment, or bank statements.
• Have a maximum household income at or below 80 percent of the area median income (AMI) adjusted for household size. To calculate what percent of the area median income a tenant’s income is, take the household’s income and divide it by the 100 percent AMI income for a household of the same size.
Participant documentation requirements include:
• A completed ERAF application.
• A letter from the landlord stating delinquent amount. This requirement does not apply to homeless individuals.
• Proof of income of all household members 18-years-old and older.
• Valid identification.
• Documentation of loss of job or income due to COVID-19.
• Completion of a housing conditions survey by program-participating tenant. (Required for lead remediation grant assistance referral.)
Landlord requirements include:
• Property must be registered with the Lucas County Auditor as a rental property.
• Be current on Lucas County real estate taxes or on a payment plan.
• Agree to accept up to three months of ERAF payments.
• Provide current federal W-9 information form.
• Agree not to pursue evictions while receiving ERAF payments.
• Dismiss any pending evictions with proof prior to release of ERAF funds.