Sparks from welder ignited Friday fire at Swanton businesses

SWANTON, Ohio (WTVG) - The cause of a Friday fire at a Swanton business has been determined to be sparks from a welder.

Fire crews are responding to a fire in Swanton at the Scottdel Cushion Company.

Swanton Fire crews responded to a fire at the Scottdel Cushion Company off Zeiter Way on Friday afternoon.

Departments from all over Lucas and Fulton counties assisted with the fire, trucking in water and using ladder trucks to fight the flames.

The company makes the foam backing for carpeting, and that's what caught fire. According to fire fighters on the scene, the foam itself made it difficult to fight the fire.

"Before it's turned into carpet backing, they recycle seats and things of that nature," Swanton Fire chief Tony Schaffer said. "Those particular items are ground up and made into carpet backing, so it was all pre-manufactured, pre-recycled material that was on fire."

Despite that, crews were able to get the blaze under control in about 10-15 minutes using a proactive approach, fighting it from inside and with ladder crews on the exterior.

Approximately half of the structure was demolished in order to extinguish the fire, according to Schaffer.

Shaffer also said this fire and one from August were unrelated. He added that Ohio EPA testing did not find any air quality issues.