House fire leaves five without a home

By  | 

TOLEDO (WTVG) - Five people in Toledo have lost everything after their home went up in flames.

The fire happened on Spencer Street near South Avenue and the Anthony Wayne Trail at around 2:45 Sunday morning.

Firefighters tell 13abc when they arrived, all three floors of the home were engulfed in flames. The house is considered a total loss.

A battalion chief says two people were hurt and ended up in the hospital. He says the man who rented the home burned his foot and his sister needed treatment for smoke inhalation. They are expected to recover.

As for a cause, investigators blame a space heater that was sparking. It set the couch on fire and the flames spread from there. Firefighters also tell us there was no smoke detector in the home.

Firefighters stress if you are a renter in Toledo, you can get a smoke detector for free. All you need to do is go to any fire station in Toledo and ask for a smoke alarm. Show proof of residency and you will get a detector at no charge.