Local man claims to find mold in a Rally's chicken sandwich
When Jonathan Hinton rolled through the Rally's off Bancroft in Toledo Friday he expected to get a normal meal. After eating half of a spicy chicken sandwich he says he bit into something unexpected.
"I ate a majority of the sandwich and took another bite and looked in and there was mold in my sandwich," Hinton said.
Hinton documented the supposed moldy mess on Facebook as he went back to the drive-through. When he got to the window Hinton says one of the workers brushed off his claim.
"I felt like they were really trying to play on intelligence, but I knew what it was, and they were so distraught about me bringing it back they had to defend the company by saying it wasn't mold," Hinton said.
13abc reviewed two of the restaurant's most recent health department inspections. One from February revealed zero violations while one from last October addressed issues of employee cleanliness and hand washing. Despite no documented issues with food, Hinton says his discovery has him concerned about his health.
"I'm going to go to the hospital ... [to] check and make sure that I'm OK, and [that] I don't have no type of poisoning or anything from this sandwich," Hinton said.
13abc also reached out to Rally's about Hinton's claim and a spokesperson said: "The safety of our products is our top priority, and we're taking this complaint seriously. We are investigating, and we have been in touch with the guest."
As Rally's investigates the Toledo-Lucas County Health Department is also getting involved, and an inspector is slated to stop by the restaurant next week.