TOLEDO, Ohio (WTVG) - Changes are on the way for Toledo public school football games.
That comes after more than a dozen shots were fired at a Woodward High School game last Friday.
Those changes even include start times of the games.
You'll see those changes beginning Thursday for the Bowsher-Waite game. Then into Friday when Rogers goes to Start and Woodward travels to Scott.
All games will begin at 5:30pm, with the gates opening at 5:00pm. A change from the typical 7-730pm starts we see on Friday night. Last week that shooting inside and outside Woodward's stadium happened around 9:00pm.
There will also be some tighter security when people get inside and everyone should be prepared to bring some form of ID.
Here are more of the major changes.
-Only students who attend the participating schools will be admitted into the stadium.
-Tickets will only be sold at the gate and no tickets will be sold after the end of the second quarter.
-For the students who are there, the student dress code must be followed.
-No backpacks or large bags will be permitted into the stadium.
-All spectators and bags will be subject to search.
13abc has also learned that security forces will have hand held metal detectors and spectators may be checked when they enter the stadium.
Beginning this week, Toledo Public Schools will implement the following changes related to football games. These changes are being made with the safety and security of our students, staff, families and spectators in mind. We appreciate everyone’s understanding and support.
• Gates will open at 5 p.m. – games will begin at
• Only students who attend one of the participating schools will be admitted
• Students must show school ID at the gate - students without a valid ID will not be admitted
• Spectators who are not students may be asked to show valid ID
• TPS elementary students/younger spectators must be accompanied by an adult at all times
• Tickets will only be sold at the gate – no pre-sale tickets at schools
• No ticket sales after the end of the 2nd quarter
• There will be no re-entry to the stadium
• The student dress code must be followed at athletic events, meaning no gang-related attire, no masks or facial coverings or memorial t-shirts or clothing
• No backpacks or large bags will be permitted into the stadium – all spectators and their belongings are subject to being searched
• TPS Department of Public Safety and school personnel reserve the right to refuse entrance to any student or spectator