Toledo apartment fire caused by cigarette displaces one

TOLEDO, Ohio (WTVG) - The Toledo Fire Department says an apartment fire that has left one man without a place to live was started by a lit cigarette.

According to fire officials on the scene, that fire began in a single unit in an apartment building in the 2100 block of W. Sylvania Avenue early Friday morning. They have determined that the fire started when the tenant fell asleep with a cigarette in his mouth.

No other units in the apartment were affected and no injuries were reported. The Red Cross will be assisting the displaced tenant.