Woman shot and killed in Delta had protection orders against ex

Published: Mar. 14, 2017 at 6:03 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

The 13abc I-Team taking a deeper look into the history of the couple at the center of Tuesday morning’s Amber Alert. That includes a knife point threat, a protection order, and a request from Amanda Mangas for it to be dismissed.

Mangas, 23, was shot and killed Tuesday at her father's home in Delta. Police say Mangas' ex-boyfriend James Ramey, 27, is in custody and charged with her murder.

Ramey is also accused of abducting their 10-month-old son Winston and the child's step grandmother from the home after the murder.

All three were discovered in Indiana hours after the shooting. Officers along US 31 spotted the van Ramey was driving near Rochester, Indiana. Ramey was arrested. Winston and his step-grandmother Deborah Mangas were not injured.

There was a protection order granted in August, saying Ramey could not have contact with Amanda Mangas and must stay away from her.

Court documents say in August Mangas was trying to leave and Ramey got upset. That's when he allegedly held a knife to her throat and strangled her. Court records say he was threatening to kill her if she called police, all of this while she was holding the baby.

Ramey then allegedly threatened to kidnap the baby. Something police says he followed through with Tuesday morning. The protection order was granted and was to last until 2021.

In November Mangas asked for the protection order to be dismissed.

In that filing, part of it hand written by Mangas, it says she believes Ramey is getting the help he needs and is not threatening her any longer.

She says he's getting the help he needs to control his anger and alcoholism and she says quote, "I would love for him to be a part of our son’s life."

In January Mangas changes her mind and says in another court filing that she does not consent to termination of the order and she says she continues to fear Ramey. The judge did not terminate the protection order.

In March Ramey allegedly violated the protection order. He was to be in the court on that charge on March 23rd. Court records say Ramey contacted Mangas on social media messenger and that was a violation of the order.

That was to be a misdemeanor charge. Now Ramey facing much more serious charges.