The AREA 313 Celebrity Challenge will officially open the most unique and exciting three-hole stretch on the PGA TOUR with a fun and spirited competition featuring PGA TOUR stars and celebrities. Scheduled from 3-5 p.m. on Tuesday, June 25, the competition will feature three teams of golfers taking on holes 14-16 at Detroit Golf Club, playing a scramble format to see if either of them can be the first to register scores of 3 (eagle), 1 (ace), 3 (birdie) on the three-hole stretch.
The teams feature some of the biggest stars on the PGA TOUR, plus national, regional and local celebrities with plenty of Detroit ties:
“Team Rickie” will include:
• Rickie Fowler –Five-time PGA TOUR winner, World No. 14 and Rocket Mortgage ambassador
• Kid Rock - Musician and Detroit native
• Justin Abdelkader – Veteran Red Wings left wing
• Blair O’Neal - Professional golfer and model, Golf Channel host
“Team DJ” will include:
• Dustin Johnson - World No. 2, 2016 U.S. Open champion and 20-time PGA TOUR winner
• Jerome Bettis – Pro Football Hall of Famer, Detroit native
• Dylan Larkin - Red Wings All-Star center
• Paige Spiranac – Social media personality and professional golfer
“Team Bubba” will include:
• Bubba Watson - 2012 and 2014 Masters champ and 12-time PGA TOUR winner ranked No. 22 in the world
• Tom Izzo – Michigan State men’s basketball coach
• Jimmy Howard – Veteran Red Wings goalie
• Troy Mullins – Female World Long Drive competitor
Tickets for Tuesday are just $10, and kids 15 and under receive free admission with a ticketed adult (limit four kids per adult). Active duty and retired military also receive complimentary tickets, and veterans can purchase reduced-priced tickets.
During tournament play Thursday-Sunday, the first PGA TOUR player to score 3-1-3 on holes 14-16 cumulatively over the four days of tournament play will win $313,000 - with half to be donated to several youth-based local non-profit partners and half to a charitable group of the player’s choice.
Appropriately named for Detroit’s famed area code, this three-hole stretch will be the epicenter of activity both inside and outside the ropes at the first PGA TOUR event ever to be held in the city of Detroit. AREA 313 is comprised of the 555-yard par-5 14th, the 160-yard par-3 15th and the 446-yard par-4 16th hole. This area of the course will be home to the tournament’s best fan atmosphere, offering premier sightlines with general admission stadium seating options and upgraded hospitality venues.
The AREA 313 Celebrity Challenge is supported by the Children’s Foundation. The Children’s Foundation will have their mascot, CHAMP, walk inside the ropes during the event with two members of the Little Champions program, which honors children who have overcome major obstacles in their young lives.
The Rocket Mortgage Classic will mark the first PGA TOUR ever held in the city of Detroit when it comes to Detroit Golf Club June 25-30. The tournament field now includes 11 of the top 50 players in the world rankings and 11 of the top 30 players in the 2018-19 FedExCup standings. Tickets and more information are available at www.RocketMortgageClassic.com.