The Bowling Green State University volleyball program fell in both of their games on Saturday at the conclusion of the Golden Dome Invitational. Bowling Green and La Salle needed five sets to settle the score with the Explorers taking the last set. Against Notre Dame, the Fighting Irish captured a 3-1 win.
Set Scores v. Notre Dame
Set 1 - Notre Dame 25, Bowling Green 19
Set 2 - Notre Dame 25, Bowling Green 14
Set 3 - Bowling Green 25, Notre Dame 21
Set 4 - Notre Dame 25, Bowling Green 9
Golden Dome Invitational All-Tournament Team Members
• Bowling Green saw two members named to the All-Tournament team following the game. Both Katelyn Meyer and Julia Walz were recognized for their play over the two days.
• Meyer led the Falcons in kills in two of their three matches, setting a tournament high against Wright State with 18.
• Walz was at the forefront of the digs department for the Orange and Brown, totaling 78 digs over the course of the three matches.
v. La Salle
• After falling behind in the first set, 4-3, the Falcons went on a 6-0 run to force a timeout by La Salle, taking a 9-4 lead.
• The Explorers fought back to a 24-24 tie with La Salle producing a 3-0 run to close the first set with a 27-25 final.
• The second set was as close as the first with both teams taking various leads, leading to a 10-10 tie early in the set, turning to a 13-13 tie as well.
• Bowling Green fell slightly behind in the second set, but a 4-0 run put them ahead of La Salle with the score at 19-18.
• The Falcons saw another 3-0 run to close out the second set to even the match score at 1-1.
• In a game of runs, the Orange and Brown were on the right side of a 4-0 run in the third set, taking a 5-2 lead.
• The fifth and final set was tight the whole way with neither team gaining a significant lead, remaining tied at 12 before the Explorers ended with the win.
v. Notre Dame
• The match with Notre Dame began as close as the La Salle match, seeing ties deep into the set with both teams claiming various leads and the final tie being at 17-17.
• After the Fighting Irish claimed the second set, the Falcons returned to form in the third, taking another tie deep into the set. Seeing a 12-12 tie, BGSU went on a 5-0 run to take a 17-12 lead before claiming the set.
• The Falcons survived in the third set to force a fourth despite a late push by the Fighting Irish.
Strong Individual Performances
v. La Salle
• Freshman Petra Indrova led the Falcons in kills, registering 18 over the course of the match, including a .571 hitting percentage.
• For the second consecutive match, Jacqueline Askin matched her career high in kills with 11.
• After logging 36 assists on Friday, Isabelle Marciniak upped her total to 48 against La Salle, leading the team.
• With 31 digs, Walz once again set a single game high for her career while also already surpassing her highest season total in the category, with 57 across the first two matches.
• As for blocks, Katie Kidwell led the Falcons, tallying seven total blocks in the match against the Explorers.
v. Notre Dame
• Indrova and Meyer each logged nine kills in the match for the Falcons.
• Marciniak once again led the team in assists, registering 25 in the contest.
• For digs, BGSU was paced by Walz with 21, having the most in all three matches of the Golden Dome Invitational.
• The Falcons will return to the Stroh Center on Sept. 6 & 7 to host the Hampton Inn Bowling Green Invitational to open the home slate of their schedule.
• BGSU will compete against Charlotte and Butler on Sept. 6 with Cleveland State scheduled for Sept. 7.
• On Sept. 6, the Orange and Brown will begin playing Charlotte at 12:30 p.m. before taking on Butler at 7 p.m. and unveiling the 2018 MAC Regular Season Champions banner.
Follow the Falcons
Be sure to follow the Falcons volleyball team on social media
Twitter - @BGAthletics and @BGSUVolleyball
Instagram - 'bgfalcons' and 'bgsuvolleyball'
Facebook - 'BGSU Athletics' and 'Bowling Green State University Volleyball'
YouTube - 'Falcon Athletics'