Bowling Green State University redshirt senior Aliyah Gustafson and redshirt sophomore Kaila Butler will compete at the NCAA Division I Outdoor Track & Field National Championships Thursday night at Mike A. Myers Stadium, on the campus of the University of Texas.
Butler will compete as one of 24 individuals vying for the national championship in the hammer throw, beginning at 5:30 pm ET Thursday. Gustafson will follow in the 24-woman shot put field, beginning at 10:10 pm ET. Both events can be seen on ESPN3.
THE HAMMER THROW
• There are 24 competitors for the national championship in the hammer throw with seeding based on regional performance. Those seeded 13-24 compete in the first flight and those seeded 1-12 will compete in the second flight.
• Kaila Butler is the No. 24 seed and will throw third in the first flight. She is the only qualifier for the national championships from the Mid-American Conference.
• Butler is one of eight freshmen or sophomores in the meet. Half of the 24 competitors are seniors.
• Each competitor will have three throws. Following the second flight, those with the top nine marks will take part in the finals for three more throws.
THE SHOT PUT
• There are 24 competitors for the national championship in the shot put with seeding based on regional performance. Those seeded 13-24 compete in flight one and those seeded 1-12 will compete in flight two. The two flights will compete at the same time on different rings.
• Each competitor will have three throws. Following the conclusion of the flights, those with the top nine marks will take part in the finals for three more throws.
• Aliyah Gustafson is the No. 11 seed and will throw eighth in the second flight. Three Mid-American Conference student-athletes are in the field with Gustafson joining No. 16 seed Gabrielle Bailey of Kent State and No. 22 seed Erin Howard of Central Michigan.
• Gustafson is one of eight seniors in the field. She is making her third appearance at an outdoor national championship meet, placing 24th in 2016 and then 15tha year ago. She has also competed in the indoor national championships twice, earning a 10th place finish in 2018 and then a seventh place finish earlier this year.
FOLLOW THE FALCONS
Follow the BGSU track and field team on twitter (@BG_XCTrack) or Instagram (@BG_XCTrack). For the latest news, content and information on all of BGSU's athletics teams, follow on Twitter (@BGAthletics), Instagram (@BGFalcons), Facebook (BGSU Athletics) and YouTube (/FalconAthletics).