The Toledo men's tennis team defeated Binghamton, 5-2, in Vestal, N.Y. on Saturday for a season sweep of the Bearcats. The match featured two-set sweeps in singles play from junior Danilo Vukotic and senior Omar Espinosa.
"This match had a lot of ups and downs," said head coach Al Wermer. "We smoked them in doubles, then, other than Danilo, the other five guys lost focus for about 40 minutes in singles. In the end, most of the guys endured for an impressive finish."
The Rockets made quick work of the Bearcats in doubles, with wins on the No. 1 and No. 3 courts. Senior Vince Anzalone and Vukotic defeated Kushaan Nath/Tiago Lourenco, 6-2, on the No. 1 court. Senior Juan Carranza and freshman Cole Shoults defeated Inigo Saez/Josh Druger, 6-2, on the No. 3 court. Senior duo Espinosa/Serjen Olmedo's match was left unfinished, 5-2, on the No. 2 court.
In singles action, Vukotic was the first Rocket to finish, defeating Nath in two sets on the No. 2 court, putting the Rockets up 2-1. Espinosa defeated Dylan Friedman on the No. 3 court after two tight sets (7-6, 7-5).
With the Rockets up 3-2, Olmedo and Shoults fought in three-set battles on the No. 5 and No. 6 courts. After falling 2-6 to Saez in the first set, Olmedo bounced back to win the second and third sets 6-3, 6-4. Olmedo's win on the No. 5 court clinched the match, putting the Rockets up 4-2 over the Bearcats. Shoults' match against Sebastian Quiros on the No. 6 court was the last match on. Dropping the first set 2-6, Shoults came back to take the second and third 6-4, 7-5.
The Rockets host Buffalo on Friday, April 5 at the UT Varsity Courts at 1:00 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, the match will be moved to Shadow Valley Tennis Club in Maumee, Ohio.
Toledo 5, Binghamton 2
1. Vince Anzalone/Danilo Vukotic (TOLEDO) def. Kushaan Nath/Tiago Lourenco (BING) 6-2
2. Dylan Friedman/Alejandro Pena (BING) vs. Omar Espinosa/Serjen Olmedo (TOLEDO) 2-5, unfinished
3. Juan Carranza/Cole Shoults (TOLEDO) def. Inigo Saez/Josh Druger (BING) 6-2
1. Danilo Vukotic (TOLEDO) def. Kushaan Nath (BING) 6-3, 6-2
2. Tiago Lourenco (BING) def. Vince Anzalone (TOLEDO) 6-4, 6-0
3. Omar Espinosa (TOLEDO) def. Dylan Friedman (BING) 7-6, 7-5
4. Alejandro Pena (BING) def. Thawin Suksathaporn (TOLEDO) 6-0, 6-3
5. Serjen Olmedo (TOLEDO) def. Inigo Saez (BING) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Cole Shoults (TOLEDO) def. Sebastian Quiros (BING) 2-6, 6-4, 7-5