The Toledo men's tennis team fell 4-3 to Buffalo at the UT Varsity Courts on Friday.
"This one hurts," said head coach Al Wermer. "Buffalo has been one of the top couple of teams in the MAC and they gave us a lesson two weeks ago 7-0. Today we came within an eyelash, but the guys put in a fantastic effort."
The Rockets had a slow start, dropping the doubles point despite senior Juan Carranza and freshman Cole Shoults' 6-3 victory over Matthew Johnson/Valdemar Holm on the No. 3 court.
In singles play UT came out strong on the back courts. Seniors Omar Espinosa, junior Thawin Suksathaporn, and senior Serjen Olmedo fought in three-set battles on the No. 4, No. 5, and No. 6 courts. After falling in the first set 1-6 to Nickolas Frisk, Espinosa clinched the second and third sets 6-4, 6-3. On the No. 5 court Suksathaporn battled Johnson after falling 6-7 in the first set and taking the second 7-6. Suksathaporn came out on top 6-1 in the final set. Olmedo pushed for a third against Simon Wibler after falling in the first 3-6 and taking the second 6-4. Olmedo defeated Wibler 6-1 in the third set.
The Rockets will head to Kalamazoo, Mich. to face Western Michigan at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, April 12. UT will then host Northern Illinois for senior day at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, April 14.
Buffalo 4, Toledo 3
1. Hao Sheng Koay/Ethan Nitttolo (UB) def. Luka Vistosevic/Omar Espinoza (TOLEDO) 6-3
2. Vilhelm Fridell/Nickolas Frisk (UB) def. Vince Anzalone/Danilo Vukotic (TOLEDO) 6-3
3. Juan Carranza/Cole Shoults (TOLEDO) def. Matthew Johnson/Valdemar Holm (UB) 6-3
1. Ethan Nitttolo (UB) def. Luka Vistosevic (TOLEDO) 1-6, 7-5, 6-2
2. Vilhelm Fridell (UB) def. Danilo Vukotic (TOLEDO) 6-4, 7-5
3. Hao Sheng Koay (UB) def. Vince Anzalone (TOLEDO) 6-2, 6-3
4. Omar Espinoza (TOLEDO) def. Nickolas Frisk (UB) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Thawin Suksathaporn (TOLEDO) def. Matthew Johnson (UB) 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (2-7), 6-1
6. Serjen Olmedo (TOLEDO) def. Simon Wibler (UB) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1