ROCKETS WIN FIVE OF SIX SINGLES MATCHES AGAINST WAYNE STATE
2/1/2019 | Men's Tennis
Omar Espinosa and the Rockets rolled to a 6-1 victory over Wayne State on Friday.
Toledo, Ohio - The University of Toledo men's tennis team posted a 6-1 win over NCAA Division II opponent Wayne State on Friday.
The Rockets started strong by securing the doubles point with wins from the senior duo of Omar Espinosa/Luka Vitosevic (6-4) and the senior/freshman duo of Juan Carranza/Cole Shoults (6-3).
Five Rockets swept their opponents in two sets, while Espinosa fought Pierre Renaudie in a three-set thriller. Espinosa started off strong, winning a tight first set (7-5) before dropping the second set (6-3). In the third-set tiebreaker, Espinosa fought to come back to gain the win 10-3.
"Wayne State is much improved over last year, and we are too," said head coach Al Wermer. "This was a full team victory. We're seeing growth up and down our lineup."
The Rockets will face NCAA Division III opponent Denison on Sunday, Feb. 3 at 1:00 p.m. at Shadow Valley Tennis Club in Maumee. There will also be free Barry's Bagels available during the match.
Toledo vs. Wayne State
Toledo 6, Wayne State 1
1. Omar Espinosa/Luka Vitosevic (TOLEDO) def. Taylor Vane/Griffin Mertz (WSU) 6-4
2. Niklas Karcz/Pierre Renaudie (WSU) def. Tyler Gargas/Thawin Suksathaporn (TOLEDO) 5-4
3. Juan Carranza/Cole Shoults (TOLEDO) def. Derek Sammons/Max Rink (WSU) 6-3
1. Luka Vitosevic (TOLEDO) def. Niklas Karcz (WSU) 7-6, 6-4
2. Danilo Vukotic (TOLEDO) def. Taylor Vane (WSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Thawin Suksathaporn (TOLEDO) def. Griffin Mertz (WSU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Omar Espinosa (TOLEDO) def. Pierre Renaudie (WSU) 7-5, 3-6, 10-3
5. Max Rink (WSU) def. Serjen Olmedo (TOLEDO) 6-3, 6-1
6. Tyler Gargas (TOLEDO) def. Derek Sammons (WSU) 6-2, 6-2