The Toledo women's soccer team will travel to East Lansing, Mich. to compete in an exhibition match against Michigan State University on Saturday, Aug. 17. The match is set to begin at 7 p.m. in the DeMartin Soccer Complex on the MSU campus.
"We are looking forward to a strong challenge in our opening exhibition against Michigan State," said head coach TJ Buchholz. "They are an extremely talented team that will challenge us for the entire 90 minutes. This type of tough exhibition will help us get well prepared for our upcoming fall schedule."
Following Saturday's match, the Rockets will open regular-season play on the road against IUPUI and Purdue on Aug. 22 and 25, respectively. Toledo's first home match will be on Aug. 29, as the Rockets welcome UIC in the debut contest at Paul Hotmer Field. This will be the first time the Rockets will have played on the main campus since the 1996 season, following 22 seasons at Scott Park.
Saturday's match will not count towards Toledo's season-record and will not have any post-match coverage.
• Toledo plays its one and only exhibition match of the year on the road at Michigan State. The two teams have not played in the regular season since 2005.
• The Rockets finished the 2018 season 8-9-2, going 4-6-1 in league play.
• Twenty athletes return to the roster this year for the Rockets, including goalkeeper Madison Perrin, along with forwards Sophia Lewis and Alex Troy. Perrin recorded 68 saves last year, securing seven wins for the Rockets. Lewis and Troy combined for seven goals and seven assists.
• As a team, the Rockets scored 31 goals in 2018, just five goals behind the No. 5 spot in single-season history.
• Sophomore Ashton Cassel will look to have an immediate impact in the midfield. Cassel was named to the MAC All-Freshmen squad last season after starting 18 matches, contributing four assists and a goal.
• Defensively, Toledo allowed 23 goals and posted five shutouts in 2018. Perrin was credited with four of the five shutouts.
• Toledo has an elite group of goalkeepers heading into the season. Freshman Emma Boutorwick and redshirt-freshman Adrianna Brewer will battle for the back-up position behind Perrin. Boutorwick is a three-time U.S. Youth Soccer National Champion and two-time U.S. Soccer Golden Glove winner. Brewer, who took a redshirt season last fall, was a member of the U17 U.S. Youth Soccer National Championship team in 2017.
• Seniors Sheridan Bufe, Abby Demboski, Rachelle Topolewski, and Olivia Young will begin their final season in the Midnight Blue and Gold.
• In addition to the returning players, the Rockets welcome 10 new faces to the roster, including junior transfer Josie Fowler from Marquette.
• The freshmen bring impressive resumes to the Glass City. Madison Medalle is a three-time Club Soccer National Championship team member, scoring a hat trick in the 2017 National Tournament title match. Stephanie Currie is a two-time Club Soccer National Championship team member, scoring the game-winner in the 2016 national championship game.
• The Rockets welcomed the Spartans to Toledo in a preseason match last year, falling to MSU 4-2.