The Toledo softball team fell, 8-2, to Penn State today in the final game of the USF Showcase in Clearwater, Fla. The Rockets (7-12) got behind early and despite a mid-game spurt of energy, UT was never able to get back into the mix. Toledo leaves the showcase with a 1-4 record.
The contest featured home runs from seniors Katie Cozy and Kaitlyn Bergman.
How it happened
• Neither the Nittany Lions nor the Rockets were able to make much of anything happen in the opening frames; UT went down in order in the first two while PSU left one on.
• Penn State opened scoring in the bottom of the third when a ground-rule double with a runner on second put one on the board, and a deep centerfield single brought in a second.
• Toledo answered in the fourth when Cozy stepped up and homered through right center on a 1-2 count. The Rockets added another to tie the score in the next inning when Bergman homered to left field.
• Penn State responded immediately in the bottom of the inning when Ally Kurland hit a bases-loaded double to left center that brought in three runs and made the score 5-2 Penn State. The Nittany Lions used that energy to keep the bats hot in the sixth, adding their final two runs off a ground-rule double (6-2) and a left field single that scored two (8-2).
• The Rockets' lineup tried one more time in the top of the seventh to start a rally but it wasn't meant to be as Toledo went P4, FF5 and 1-3.
TOLEDO (7-12) -VS- PENN STATE (13-12)
Team 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 R H E
Toledo 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 2 5 2
Penn State 0 0 2 0 3 3 X 8 6 0
W: Parshall (5-7) L: Webb, Heather (0-3) S: Lingenfelter (1)
Toledo returns to action March 15-16 for Indiana's Hoosier Classic in Bloomington, Ind. UT will open with a 3:00 p.m. game against the Hoosiers and will face additional competition from Saint Francis and Northwestern.