The Toledo softball team (11-19, 3-3 MAC) opened its weekend home series with Akron (7-20, 1-7 MAC) with a 3-0 win at Scott Park today. Toledo's runs came from sophomore Kylie Norwood, senior Megan Choate and senior Katie Cozy. The Rockets outhit the opposition 10-1 and forced Akron to leave four runners on base en route to their third win of the Mid-American Conference season.
Choate had another strong outing as she went 2-for-4 with one run, two hits and an RBI to help her team out, while Norwood chipped in two hits of her own. Sophomore Raelyn Nyren was hit by a pitch once again today to bring her season total up to 11, and sophomore Erin Hunt recorded her seventh win and second shutout of the season.
How it happened
• Both sides went down in order to start the first frame and a half. Toledo came to life in the bottom of the second when two singles and a walk loaded the bases, but two strikeouts and a groundout left all three runners on the bags.
• After Akron stranded two runners on the bases in the top of the third, UT was finally able to open scoring in the bottom of the frame. A Choate single paired with a HBP for Cozy and walk from Bergman loaded the bases with one out. Yenrick then stepped up the plate and hit a sac fly to left field that brought around Choate and moved the other two into scoring position.
• Reed then singled to left field to bring home Cozy and put UT up 2-0.
• Akron's momentum died off after UT's runners scored, as the Zips were only able to put two more runners on the bases for the rest of the game.
• The Rockets' final run came in the sixth inning when back-to-back doubles from Norwood and Choate added a final insurance run to the board, sealed things at 3-0, and gave Hunt her seventh victory.