Senior Claire Aleck clinched the 4-3 victory over Akron on Saturday, defeating Ceci Rosas in two sets.
Toledo, Ohio - The Toledo women's tennis team edged out Akron, 4-3, on Saturday at Twos Athletic Club. The match featured two-set sweeps in singles play by freshman Christina Fuller and senior Claire Aleck.
"I'm so proud of the way the team bounced back from last week," said head coach Tracy Mauntler. "They worked so hard at practice all week and made adjustments. They really showed what they're made of today."
The Rockets started off strong by clinching the doubles point. Senior Thalita Rodrigues and freshman Kiersten Carlson defeated Sophia Geier/Anna Uljanov, 6-2, on the No. 2 court. Fellow senior/freshman duo Aleck and Eileen Carney fought in a tight, back-and-forth battle with Luisa Echeverry/Carla Flores on the No. 3 court in the deciding match. Aleck/Carney came out on top 7-5, putting UT at a 1-0 advantage going into singles play.
In singles action, Fuller defeated Echeverry in two sets on the No. 4 court. Senior Kokoro Chishaki defeated Uljanov on the No. 3 court in three grueling sets, dropping the first one, 3-6, but coming back to take the second and third sets 6-0, 6-1. Chishaki's win put the Rockets up 3-2 over the Zips.
Seniors Rodrigues and Aleck were the last courts on. On the No. 6 court, Aleck cliched the match and put UT up 4-2 with a two set win over Ceci Rosas. Rodrigues was the last match on and fell in a tiebreak with Rita Pedroso (6-2, 7-6(3)).
The Rockets will face Miami in Oxford, Ohio at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, April 5. UT will then challenge I-75 rival Bowling Green on Sunday, April 7 at 1:00 p.m. in Bowling Green, Ohio.
Toledo 4, Akron 3
1. Rita Pedroso/Miruna Vasilescu (AKRON) def. Dee Dee Leenabanchong/Kokoro Chishaki (UT) 6-2
2. Thalita Rodrigues/Kiersten Carlson (UT) def. Sophia Geier/Anna Uljanov (AKRON) 6-2
3. Claire Aleck/Eileen Carney (UT) def. Luisa Echeverry/Carla Flores (AKRON) 7-5
1. Sophia Geier (AKRON) def. Dee Dee Leenabanchong (UT) 6-1, 6-3
2. Miruna Vasilescu (AKRON) def. Eileen Carney (UT) 6-3, 6-2
3. Kokoro Chishaki (UT) def. Anna Uljanov (AKRON) 3-6, 6-0, 6-1
4. Christina Fuller (UT) def. Luisa Echeverry (AKRON) 6-4, 6-4
5. Rita Pedroso (AKRON) def. Thalita Rodrigues (UT) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Claire Aleck (UT) def. Ceci Rosas (AKRON) 7-5, 6-2