Toledo women's tennis edged out Southeast Missouri State, 4-3, today in day one of the Illinois State Redbird Invitational. The Rockets earned two singles sweeps in the first match of the tournament.
"I'm so incredibly proud of the team for their fight today," said head coach Tracy Mauntler. "They laid everything on the line. To win three out of four three-setters is a huge deal for us. It shows the fire and passion this team has."
The Rockets dropped the doubles point early, despite junior Dee Dee Leenabanchong/senior Kokoro Chishaki's 6-3 win over Kseniya Zonova /Sneha Sinha on the No. 1 court.
In singles action, Chishaki swept Isabella Krupa in two sets (6-3, 6-4) on the No. 3 court. Freshman Christina Fuller defeated Teona Velkoska in three sets after winning the first set 6-1, dropping the second set 0-6, and taking the third set 6-3. Fellow freshman Eileen Carney clinched victory at the No. 2 spot in three sets (7-5, 2-6, 6-3).
Senior Thalita Rodrigues clinched the match for the Rockets in three sets. After dropping the first set 4-6, Rodrigues came back strong against Sneha Sinha, securing the second and third sets 6-2 each.
The Rockets close out the weekend tomorrow when UT plays Illinois State at 12:30 p.m. in the championship round of the Redbird Invitational.
Toledo vs. Southeast Missouri State
Toledo 4 , Southeast Missouri State 3
1. Dee Dee Leenabanchong/Kokoro Chishaki (UT) def. Kseniya Zonova /Sneha Sinha (SEMO), 6-3
2. Isabella Krupa/Teona Velkoska (SEMO) def. Kiersten Carlson/Eileen Carney (UT), 6-2
3. Romana Tarajova/Manuela Barriga (SEMO) def. Christina Fuller/Claire Aleck (UT), 6-2
1. Romana Tarajova (SEMO) def. Dee Dee Leenabanchong (UT), 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
2. Eileen Carney (UT) def. Kseniya Zonova (SEMO), 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
3. Kokoro Chishaki (UT) def. Isabella Krupa (SEMO), 6-3, 6-4
4. Christina Fuller (UT) def. Teona Velkoska (SEMO), 6-1, 0-6, 6-3
5. Anais Emelie (SEMO) def. Claire Aleck (UT), 6-0, 6-3
6. Thalita Rodrigues (UT) def. Sneha Sinha (SEMO), 4-6, 6-2, 6-2