The Toledo women's tennis team fell 4-3 to Miami on Friday in Oxford, Ohio. The match featured two three-set thrillers from freshman Eileen Carney and senior Thalita Rodrigues.
"I can't ask for anything more in singles from this group," said head coach Tracy Mauntler. "They left everything on the court. We were close in doubles and didn't close. That was the difference."
The Rockets dropped the doubles point early despite freshman Kiersten Carlson and Rodrigues' 6-2 win on the No. 2 court.
In singles play senior Kokoro Chishaki swept Jordan Ortega-Mendez 6-4, 6-4 on the No. 3 court. Next off was Carney, who had dropped her first set to Milana Lysova 2-6, but came back to take the second and third sets 6-4, 6-2. On the No. 5 court, Rodrigues also locked into a three-set battle with Melati Devi after dropping the first set 6-7. Rodrigues bounced back to take the second 7-6 and held on to win the third 10-2.
UT will face I-75 rival Bowling Green on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. in Bowling Green, Ohio.
Miami 4, Toledo 3
1. Brindtha Ramasamy/Milana Lysova (MIAMI) def. Deedee Leenabanchong/Kokoro Chishaki (TOLEDO) 6-4
2. Kiersten Carlson/Thalita Rodrigues (TOLEDO) def. Priyana Kalita/Makenzie Myers (MIAMI) 6-2
3. Emily Struble/Melati Devi (MIAMI) def. Eileen Carney/Claire Aleck (TOLEDO) 6-1
1. Brindtha Ramasamy (MIAMI) def. Deedee Leenabanchong (TOLEDO) 6-0, 6-1
2. Eileen Carney (TOLEDO) def. Milana Lysova (MIAMI) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Kokoro Chishaki (TOLEDO) def. Jordan Ortega-Mendez (MIAMI) 6-4, 6-4
4. Emily Struble (MIAMI) def. Christina Fuller (TOLEDO) 6-4, 6-4
5. Thalita Rodrigues (TOLEDO) def. Melati Devi (MIAMI) 6-7, 7-6, 1-0 (10-2)
6. Makenzie Myers (MIAMI) def. Claire Aleck (TOLEDO) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4