The University of Toledo women's track and field team defeated Bowling Green 98-72 in the BGSU Dual at the UT Outdoor Track on Friday. The Rockets posted nine first-place finishes, a whopping 30 personal-bests, and three MAC automatic qualifying marks on the day.
"You're always happy when you beat your rival," said head coach Linh Nguyen. "We had a losing streak going for a while and now we haven't lost to them in three years, so that feels good. We want to keep it rolling."
Toledo dominated the field events. Senior Katie Dewey posted a MAC automatic qualifying mark in the discus with a throw of 48.89m, taking first place. Dewey also secured a third-place finish in the shot put with a throw of 14.62. Fellow senior Sally Frank led the Rockets in the hammer throw, with a personal-best toss of 42.60m to take fourth. Freshman Lauren Johnson debuted in the javelin, tossing a personal-best 31.94m to take second.
The Rockets swept the high jump, with junior Atalia Lima leading the way with a jump of 1.65m to take first. UT secured the first four spots in the long jump with sophomore Janell Rowe taking first with a leap of 5.39m, followed by senior Deja Martin (5.28m), Lima (5.21m, PR), and senior Madison Pierce (5.11m). Rowe also clinched first in the triple jump, achieving a mark of 11.80m, and the 100m hurdles, clocking a time of 15.94.
In the 100m, senior Nautica Hill took second with a time of 12.27 and junior Tori Thompson took third, clocking a time of 12.41. Thompson later led the Rockets in the 200m, also placing third with a time of 25.23.
Seniors Petronela Simiuc and Janelle Noe posted a MAC automatic qualifying times in the 800m (2:11.09) and 1500m (4:28.31), respectively. Simiuc was also the first Rocket across the finish line in the 3000 meters, posting a personal-best of 10:07.65. In the 2000-meter steeplechase, senior Joan Jepkirui stopped the clock at 7:17.56 to clinch first with junior Roma Lucarelli finishing close behind with a time of 10:17.16 to take second.
Both 4x100m and 4x400m relay teams posted first-place performances. The 4x100m team, composed of senior Shanice Williams, senior Christina Johnson, freshman Rayna Horner, and Hill clocked a 45.82. The 4x400m team, comprised of Johnson, junior Yana Khabina, Horner, and Hill, finished off the meet with a time of 3:51.52, a nearly a full ten seconds ahead of BG.
"We had some very good performances. We got lucky with weather. It's the best weather since I've been here for this meet so people did really well and I'm happy with where we are," said Nguyen. "We're going to now go to meets where there's going to be fuller races, fuller events and some more competition, and hopefully we'll do even better."
The Rockets will travel to Muncie, Ind. for the Ball State Challenge April 12- April 13.
Toledo-BGSU Dual Meet
Friday, April 5
Toledo 98, Bowling Green 72
Toledo Individual Results
4. Sally Frank - 42.60m *PR*
6. Kallie Strauss - 39.78m *PR*
7. Lauren Johnson - 39.25m *PR*
8. Chloee Kleespies - 38.90m *PR*
1. Katie Dewey - 48.89m - MAC Automatic Qualifier
4. Chloee Kleespies - 40.89m
5. Lauren Johnson - 40.37m *PR*
2. Lauren Johnson - 31.94m *PR*
4. Kallie Strauss - 26.87m
3. Katie Dewey - 14.62m
5. Sally Frank - 13.65m *PR*
6. Chloee Kleespies - 11.75m
7. Atalia Lima - 11.49m *PR*
8. Kallie Strauss - 10.48m
9. Lauren Johnson - 10.03m *PR*
1. Atalia Lima - 1.65m
2. Julia Smith - 1.60m *PR*
3. Ashley Herrmann - 1.55m
4. Holly Nation - 1.55m *PR*
1. Janell Rowe - 11.80m
4. Deja Martin - 10.83m
1. Janell Rowe - 5.39m
2. Deja Martin - 5.28m
3. Atalia Lima - 5.21m *PR*
4. Madison Pierce - 5.11m
2. Nautica Hill - 12.27
3. Tori Thompson - 12.41
1. Janell Rowe - 15.94 *PR*
2. Ashley Herrmann - 16.08 *PR*
3. Tori Thompson - 25.23
5. Ashley Herrmann - 27.98 *PR*
6. Christina Johnson - 29.16
7. Rayna Horner - 29.27 *PR*
3. Emily Worley - 1:00.93 *PR*
4. Holly Nation - 1:02.21 *PR*
1. Petronela Simiuc - 2:11.09 - MAC Automatic Qualifier
3. Kennedey Glover - 2:20.87
5. Nichole Foor - 2:30.98 *PR*
1. Janelle Noe - 4:28.31 - MAC Automatic Qualifier
2. Olivia Chinn - 4:32.27
3. Rebecca Snyder - 4:45.74 *PR*
5. Jordan Doore - 5:00.26 *PR*
6. Megan Burmeister - 5:03.15 *PR*
1. Joan Jepkirui - 7:17.56 *PR*
2. Roma Lucarelli - 7:18.56 *PR*
4. Elisabeth LaPrad - 7:49.60 *PR*
1. Petronela Simiuc - 10:07.65 *PR*
2. Riley Kwiatkowski - 10:17.16 *PR*
3. Amanda Bakley - 10:30.49 *PR*
4. Hannah Sponaugle - 11:12.68
5. Alyssa Edwards - 11:26.61 *PR*
6. Grace Steimle - 11:36.15 *PR*
1. Shanice Williams, Christina Johnson, Rayna Horner, Nautica Hill- 45.82
1. Christina Johnson, Yana Khabina, Rayna Horner, Nautica Hill - 3:51.52
1. Dismas Koech - 8:54.81
2. Jake Papish - 9:06.23
3. Matthew Gibbons - 9:47.24