W.Basketball: Western Michigan 84, BGSU 82

By  | 

. The Bowling Green State University women's basketball team dropped a nail-biter, falling to Western Michigan University, 84-82, in the Mid-American Conference opener for both teams.

Senior Sydney Lambert led all scorers with 22 points in the narrow loss, and the point guard also had six rebounds and six assists. Freshman Morgan McMillen scored 17 points for the hosts, while junior Andrea Cecil and sophomore Angela Perry added 12 and 11 points, respectively.

Kamrin Reed and Jasmyn Walker each had 17 points for the Broncos, with Walker pulling down a game-high 15 rebounds. Deja Wimby scored 15 points and Leighah-Amori Wood 13 for the visitors.

The game featured seven ties and 13 lead changes.

BGSU trailed by seven points with under six minutes remaining in the game, and after McMillen hit a three-pointer, Walker answered with a layup for a 77-71 Bronco lead with 4:53 to go. The Falcons, however, responded with a 7-0 run to take the lead, with Perry converting a pair of layups and Lambert hitting a baseline layup. Perry's second bucket in that stretch tied the score, and freshman Kadie Hempfling's free throw with 2:10 remaining gave the Falcons a one-point advantage.

But, Walker hit a layup with the shot clock winding down, giving the Broncos an 81-80 lead, and after BG missed a three-point try, Wool drove the lane and scored with 1:07 on the clock.

BG missed another shot, but the Falcons forced a shot-clock violation, getting the ball back with 26.3 seconds to go. Lambert threw the ball inside to Perry for a one-hander that cut the Western lead to a single point with 16.0 seconds remaining.

The Falcons committed a pair of fouls to reach the five-foul mark for the quarter. The second of those fouls sent WMU's Nina Farkic to the free-throw line with 12.7 seconds left. Farkic missed the first shot, but made the second for a two-point Bronco lead.

The ensuing possession saw Lambert's contested layup attempt hit the rim and bounce away, with Farkic grabbing the rebound and dribbling toward midcourt. But, an offensive foul was called on the Broncos away from the ball, giving it back to the Falcons with just 2.9 seconds to go.

However, on the ensuing possession, BG was whistled for an offensive foul with just 1.1 seconds remaining, and possession went back to the Broncos. BG fouled Maxine Moore after WMU inbounded the ball, with just 0.3 seconds to go. Moore missed both of the ensuing free-throw tries, and Hempfling rebounded the ball, but did not have time to get a shot off before time expired.

BGSU is back in action on Wednesday morning (Jan. 9), facing Ball State in an 11:00 a.m. start in Muncie.