Address: 6641 Sylvania Avenue Sylvania, OH 43560-3931 View Map
Phone: 419.841.4400

About Us

Helping injured people and their families throughout Ohio and Michigan

At Contrada & Associates we aggressively fight for your rights if you have been injured because of someone else’s negligence. Personal You deserve to have skilled lawyers protecting you during a trial, settlement negotiation or mediation. Our attorneys have more than 60 combined years of experience practicing law, and over the years, we have obtained multimillion-dollar settlements and trial verdicts for clients throughout Toledo and Northwest Ohio.

Contrada & Associates FAQ

Do I have a case?
This is probably the most frequently asked question of any lawyer. The easiest way to learn is to phone us and ask. There is absolutely no obligation and no charge. If, after talking with you on the phone, we believe that you may have a case at law, we will suggest a conference in our office. We can visit you at home or in the hospital if your ability to travel is impaired.

Should I take photographs of injuries or property damage?
Yes, absolutely. It is important for you to document your injuries. We can also photograph construction and accident sites for you.

How soon after being injured do I need to see a lawyer?
An individual, by law, has a limited amount of time in which to file a lawsuit. That period, known as the statute of limitations, is determined by a number of factors, including the type of action to be filed and the state where you are pursuing the recovery. Therefore, it is extremely important to determine the applicable statute of limitations for your case as soon as possible.

If I have been injured in an auto accident, should I allow the other driver’s insurance company to take my statement?
Typically not. You should have legal representation before you make any recorded statements. The insurance company for the defendant driver is not protecting your interests, and any statement you make can be used against you when attempting to settle your claim. You are not legally required to give one.

What can I do to help my case?
Keep all records, such as medical bills and treatment schedules, organized. Keep a diary or calendar of events, including medical treatments, doctor’s visits, and physical therapy. It also helps to document events such as missing work, vacations, kids’ events, weddings, graduations, holidays, hobbies, etc.

How will I pay my medical bills during the progress of my case?
Typically, you should always have your health insurance pay all of your medical bills. Normally you will receive a letter from your medical insurance company asking to be reimbursed from your settlement. This is perfectly legal. Also your own car insurance usually has coverage to pay any medical bills not covered by health insurance.

I am a member of the United Auto Workers (UAW). Can I contact you through the Union?
Yes, definitely. Contrada & Associates has represented many UAW members and is proud to be listed with the UAW as a referral law firm. If you want to get in touch with us through the union, you must request a referral to Contrada & Associates when you contact the UAW.

I have been contacted by the defendant’s insurance company. What should I do?
Don’t sign or say anything! They will use whatever you say against you. Know your rights. You don’t have to talk to them. Call Contrada & Associates.

The hospital has given me advice about how to handle my bills. What do I do? .
Don’t say or sign anything regarding insurance assignments, especially at a hospital or emergency room. Do not put your medical claims through your auto insurance. Do not assign your claims to a hospital or medical provider, even though they may pressure you to do so

You should put all of your accident-related medical bills through your own health insurance, not your auto insurance. Do not be bullied by the hospitals, medical providers, or insurance companies to have your car insurance pay these bills immediately. Remember, the insurance company for the driver at fault does not have to pay a single medical bill until the very end when they settle your claim. They will make assurances that they will pay your medical bills, but they won’t until final settlement. To make sure your medical bills are paid in a timely fashion, put your accident-related bills through your own health insurance. Do not assign your claims to the hospital. Call us immediately.

What will my own car insurance cover?
Check with you auto insurance agent to see if you have medical payments coverage. If you do, insist that a medical payments claim be set up immediately. Most insurance companies resist, but insist that they do so. Use this as stop-gap coverage for co-pays and deductibles and items not covered by your normal health insurance. Do not use this to pay hospital room or emergency room bills unless you have no health insurance whatsoever. However, you may wish not to pay the hospital and emergency room bills until final settlement.

Can you help me with insurance?
Yes, absolutely. Processing insurance claims for injuries is complex, confusing, and frustrating to most people. You need an attorney who is experienced dealing with adjusters, medical providers, and health care insurance companies to protect your rights. Don’t get injured twice!

Trial Lawyers ready to litigate and negotiate

A personal injury of any kind can have a devastating impact on your personal and professional lives. To assist you through these difficult times, our lawyers are with you every step of the way.

  • Extensive courtroom–experience — When an equitable settlement isn’t possible for your case, our attorneys use our extensive courtroom experience to fight for your rights. With more than six decades of combined experience, our lawyers have all of the tools necessary to manage your case effectively.
  • Reputation — Attorney Charles Contrada is AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest possible rating in the country. In addition, Charles is legal counsel for “Ask the Expert”, with WTOL-11 TV. He is also certified as a Civil Trial Advocacy Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Attorney Carol Contrada is an elected Lucas County Commissioner, serving the residents of Lucas County since 2011.
  • Individualized attention — We are dedicated to your individual needs throughout the legal process.   If you are not physically able to come to our office, we will come to you, whether you are at home or in the hospital. Our attorneys and staff are committed to helping you through your crisis, and will be with you every step of the way.

Handling a range of personal injury cases

The law office of Contrada & Associates provides experienced legal counsel if you are injured due to someone else’s negligence.

  • Auto accidents — Whether you are involved in a trucking, motorcycle or car accident, our firm helps you secure the compensation to which you are entitled. We have extensive experience with auto accident cases and can research the true cause of your accident and determine the severity of your injuries.
  • Mesothelioma — If you contracted mesothelioma from your job or living conditions, we can seek the financial compensation you are owed. We work to get your medical bills covered and to get you compensation for your suffering and loss of income.
  • Serious injury — Our firm fights for the rights of clients who have suffered an injury due to someone else’s negligence. Personal injury cases come in many forms, including slips and fall accidents, workplace accidents and dog bites. Our firm can handle your case whether you want to try to settle out of court or go to trial.
  • Defective Products