Toledo woman looks for father's missing remains lost in the mail

TOLEDO (13abc Action News) - A Toledo woman is looking for her father's remains. His body was donated for research almost three years ago. Those remains have been lost in the mail and they may be gone for good.

A woman who recently relocated to Toledo, knows her father's remains were taken to a New York state post office in August. She still doesn't have them. She told 13abc she's tired of getting the run around.

Where are the remains of Donald Nimmo? Before his death, he decided to donate his body to research. Nimmo suffered from diabetes and cancer. His remains were supposed to be sent back to his daughter, when she lived in Fort Wayne.

A postal service tracking form says they arrived at a postal service origin facility in Buffalo on August 7th, 2015. That's the last record of them.

"I just feel like it's not their parent or anything so they don't have as much vested in it as I do,” said Susan Lolmaugh, Nimmo’s daughter.

Lolmaugh even has an urn ready for her father's remains. It's sat empty for months. She makes call after call to the postal service and the University of Buffalo where her father's body was sent after he died in 2013.

"He is my father. Very close with my dad. [It] breaks my heart how they could be so callous with someone's ashes," said Lolmaugh.

She goes back and forth with the postal service but still no remains. A spokeswoman with the postal service in Buffalo tells the I-Team that local and national postal employees have been involved since August to get that urn.

Lolmaugh says she's been told the address and return label both made their way back to the University of Buffalo from Memphis Tennessee.

“I don't feel this is something from QVC that's replaceable. This is my dad's remains that I can never get back. I know it's not physically him there but it's my closure to, I feel, almost a 3 year nightmare," said Lolmaugh.

The I-Team did speak with a University of Buffalo spokesman, he says when the family contacted them, the school had the paperwork showing the ashes had been sent. The family still hasn't had a memorial service for him. They've been waiting for the remains before having one.